3) A Pink/Green colorway using the Take 5 pattern
4) A Blue/yellow/white colorway using the Yellow Brick Road pattern
Old 12-26-2021, 07:26 AM

1) create a dedicated quilting area
2) use up a good part of my stash before buying more fabric

and, these should be easy but they aren't
3) cut a straight line
4) stitch a straight line
5) take two 4" squares, sew together with 1/4" seam and end up with a rectangle that measures 4" x 7.5"
Old 12-26-2021, 01:47 PM

I went back and dug out my goals for 2021:

1. I have 3 tops that will need to be longarmed (sent out) to finish - would like to do as many of these as finances will allow - ended up not getting any done at all! Not due as much to finances as to me losing motivation to sort them out... I did get backings for all of them, so I guess that's progress at least, lol

2. Finish Stars Sampler (UFO, currently a top - needs de-papering, basting, and quilting - I plan to handquilt this one) - top finished, handquilting not yet started

3. Finish Pumpkins wallhanging (WIP) - I'm in the process of handquilting this, have it all planned out and it is fairly small, so I feel confident that this is achievable, unless I get interrupted for some reason - fully finished

4. Finish Penguin Promenade BOM (WIP) - done the blocks, awaiting the setting instructions, will most likely handquilt - finished the top, needs to be quilted

5. Progress Sylvia's Wedding Sampler (UFO) - am doing this by hand, have about 1/3 of the blocks done, tend to do a couple of blocks and then put it away for a few months (hence aim to 'progress'...). No rush - progress has been made - at one point I was doing a block a week, but then ran out of steam again. Currently stands at just over half of the blocks completed.

6. Start Puffins quilt (been wanting to make this one for years!) - top finished, not yet quilted

7. Start Reindeer quilt - a kit (unusual for me) only just acquired. Would be great to get it done for next Christmas, but no pressure - top finished, not yet quilted

8. Do more quilting!! - this was definitely the case in the first half of the year, but not so much in the second (life got in the way)

So for 2022 I aim to:

1. Get the 3 tops from the 2021 Goals (Peace Cottage, Lone Star, Covering America) longarmed, and ideally a couple more (Puffins Aloft, Reindeer, maybe Penguin Promenade, maybe Stars Sampler - there's a few to choose from!!)

2. Finish handquilting Cats/Pumpkins table runner (started 2021) - done just about a third of it so far

3. Finish Flower Basket cushion cover (started in 2021) - need to machine quilt the front and then turn it into a cushion cover

4. Embellish Christmas star tree skirt - started and essentially finished in 2021, but I want to add some more handquilting and maybe some beading

5. Progress Sylvia's Wedding Sampler (2011 UFO) - I think I'm at about 75 out of 140 intended blocks made. Still no rush, other than it's now my longest running UFO and it's always satisfying to get those done

6. Get back into the habit of quilting - hoping this is going to be easier in the New Year if life calms down a bit!

Long post, whew. I wish everybody luck with their goals for 2022! :-)
Old 12-29-2021, 08:03 AM

So many great goals and even some strategies for achieving them. Meadowmist, I especially like yours - I know the first one is currently out of my reach but the others seem like things I could strive for without getting overwhelmed. Adding them to my list as well. :-)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:15 PM

RedGarnet222 - i love and am absolutely impressed with all you have gotten done. I though the “Covid year” was going to be my year for cleaning and paring down but it was not. My job never stopped as we were essential and i got NOTHING good done. So you are inspirational. Maybe it IS possible for me!!!

PurplePansies - hilarious! With your sense of humor I am sure you will get things done!

2022. Learn to run my HQ Amara better (hopefully with out having to spend even more money to attend classes!).
Get the rest of my tops quilted and the binding on. I have several and keep dragging my feet as i have discovered that i really dislike doing the binding!!
Try to learn better habits for putting things back when i get them out so i dont have notions and fabric spread out everywhere. I have a decent sewing studio and it is just not always pretty and enjoyable.

I am sure there are lots of things i should list and concentrate on but why mentally overwhelm myself this early in the game!!!?

I do hope everyone has a very safe and Happy New Years!!!
Old 01-01-2022, 07:42 AM

Last year I decided to try a bunch of free BOM (or week) programs and finish one UFO a month. I made tables with check-off spots for each step on each project and did pretty well but found all the deadlines stressful. This year, I hope to knock off a few more UFOs (like the 3 I didn’t do from last year’s list), complete the BOM quilts, mostly steer clear of new BOMs (with one exception so far), and do 2 new projects: a temperature quilt for 2021 and making one or more quilts from my crumb-sized scraps. Plus, whatever else I want to do. (Note: 2 of the bed-sized BOM quilts recently went to Afghans being resettled in my town).
Old 01-01-2022, 09:50 AM

Everybody's goals are so very interesting to read! My goals are:
1. To make another donkey quilt. My deceased son had one when he was little and it was goal of mine to complete in 2021. His was a red donkey with muslin. I did make the first of 3, that was one a baby blue donkey. The other 2 will be green and a dark blue.
2. Make prayer quilt for my cousin with 10 squares that her mom had cut out before she passed in 2004. I have to look through my fabric to find something that will coordinate with it.
3. Cut out t-shirts for my granddaughter's t-shirt quilt. By the amount of t-shirts she's given me, I think I can get 3 quilts out of them.
4. Make a wall hanging quilt from a t-shirt that belonged to my friend's son. He passed in 1992.
5. Finish a t-shirt quilt for my daughter.
6. Make a quilt for my eldest son with camera fabric that I've had for years!
7. Make backings for the UFO's I have hanging in my closet so I can get them quilted.
8. Use up my fabric, keep no scraps of any kind (well maybe)
10. Accomplish at least one goal listed!!
Old 01-02-2022, 04:20 AM

Golds berry, I love the last goal you listed 😊
Old 01-02-2022, 03:08 PM

This is a great thread idea, I'm not sure I had been thinking of goals for 2022 but now I am. My goals:

1) I've realized I've bought 6 jelly rolls over time but have never actually used any. I'd like to open one and use it for a quilt this year.

2) finish my 2 ufos. I started them in the summer but they are panels and my first time using panels and turns out I HATE using panels. They are sandwiched so almost done though

3) keep making new quilts as I'm inspired by them.

4) I'm expecting my first baby this summer (if all goes well) and I want to make a nice quilt once I know the sex. To try to get in a little quilting now and again after baby is born. I get this may not be realistic...

4) use one of my patterns from my stash. I often go online when making a new quilt.

5) use applique on at least 2 quilts
Old 01-03-2022, 05:08 PM

Thumbs up

I've read this whole thread. Thank you ALL for curing my guilts. I'm really not in bad shape after all. I've got one on the frame in the process of hand quilting, two in advanced planning with the designs created and the fabric purchased, and one in the dream stage without even a usable diagram ready yet. And that is IT! All doable this year, right?

Hats off to you who are so prolific! 12 quilts in a year?!? WOW! Please teach me your secrets!

Rusty