Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022 >

Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022

Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022

Old 01-02-2022, 11:35 AM

I found 10 squares my deceased aunt cut several years ago. I used 6 of them to create a prayer quilt for her daughter, my cousin. I may need to put together some batting scraps and make a backing, quilt and bin. That same cousin also likes cows so I did a small rag quilt. I found a quick technique on YouTube that I tried out. It went by pretty quick. Now I will search for a quillow pattern and attempt my hand at that!
Old 01-02-2022, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
IceBlossom- you speak the truth. I've been watching the numbers locally and we are 200% increase in cases over the past 14 days. Crazy numbers! Again- the vaccinated have mild cases that they can ride out at home but the unvaccinated have a much more difficult time.

And I have had some home time myself. My father accidentally exposed us over Christmas. There were no testing appts available locally and we were completely asymptomatic. So we just rode out the quarantine period at home.
​​​​​

Thank you for being responsible in this crazy health situation. If you were contagious you chose not to share with anyone else. The buck stopped there.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:26 PM

Checking in, have gotten some sewing done today but not as much as wanted. Slept in late, and after lunch we had to take a run to fill up DH's truck as he has to work tomorrow. Since we were out did a little running, hour and a half latter I was able to get back to the machine. But now it's time to start dinner and clean the kitchen. I will do some hand work tonight since I enjoy sewing at the machine more when it's light out and I can have the drapes open. It's been a fun weekend.
Thanks Heather
Old 01-02-2022, 03:13 PM

Logcabin82---love your starburst dresden? Did you design it or is there a pattern?

Didn't get to quilt today but did clean up a little in my workspace. Tomorrow I will be quilting at local shop with a friend. See you in a few weeks!
Old 01-02-2022, 03:14 PM

I've been working on a Lone Star quilt of Donna Jordan's. Had everything cut out and strips sewn and pressed last night. Tried to put blocks together and I'm not getting them matched. Rip rip rip and then re-sew and then they don't match the other way ughhh. The one block I completed isn't completely straight on one side. I decided to just walk away before I get any more frustrated lol. Fun to see what the rest of you are working on!
Old 01-02-2022, 03:52 PM
Gay

It's Monday here, but this is what I've been doing. Thought I would finish 45 blocks, but ran out of flying geese and the Grandmothers Choice corner blocks so had to make more yesterday. Finished them this morning and while pressing found a few that weren't quite right.
Here are my blocks (hopefully)
When pressing them I found these 4 , not quite right. See the mistakes? Then will have to quilt the one on the frame.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20220102_144715.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	637070   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220103_092416.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	637077   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220103_092427.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	637078   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220102_144640.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	637079  

Last edited by Gay; 01-02-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:54 PM

Lots of great projects! Logcabin82 that is a very cool dresden!
I finished off these little mug ornaments that I purchased a kit for quite a few years ago, and this is the BH leader/ender project that I started machine quilting, just along the sashings one direction, so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BB1DDC62-33BE-48BD-896C-A4DCEAB699FB.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	637072   Click image for larger version

Name:	56651D23-BD17-4019-AB81-9EDD0EAD7785.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	637073  
Old 01-02-2022, 04:17 PM

started on a jellyroll rug. A lot of really nice projects done on the quilting board this weekend.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
this is the BH leader/ender project that I started machine quilting, just along the sashings one direction, so far.
This is a really nice quilt - how do you make it as a leader/ender? Do you precut everything and stack them together so that you're sure you've got the pieces you need for each block? I've not done a leader/ender quilt (although I have sewn crumbs together between other stitching projects) and am not sure how random it's supposed to be. This seems to be carefully planned. Just curious. :-)
Old 01-02-2022, 05:00 PM

Just checking in. Between the sewing and the decluttering, lots has been accomplished. Tallchick, great quilt, it certainly pops. Logcabin, love your wallhanging, cheerful and bright. Gay, love the ornaments, and your great leader and ender quilt.
Friday, kinda quilting related, but with mixed emotions, I pulled my items from my spot in the store where I have been selling my items. When Covid started, I had lots of time to sew, which is why I decided to rent a spot to sell items, fast forward 2 years....I work in healthcare, and the demand for work in unreal. The Pandemic bonus money they are offering far exceeds what I have been making in my craft spot, so I have been working extra days, which translates to less time to sew. I am going to take advantage of this extra money while they are offering it, sew when I can, and see what happens. I still plan to have some items ready for the summer, mostly jelly roll rugs, as i do sell them in a quilt shop in a local tourist town about 30 min. north of me.
Yesterday, we had our family Christmas at our house, with people vaccinated/boosted, and everyone healthy, with safety in mind, we all enjoyed the company, laughs, and finally being all together after two years since Covid began. After everyone left, I took down the tree, and placed everythng up in my quilting room, and took care of everything this morning.
This weekend, I have been working on what would be called a UFO, while getting the Christmas decorations out earlier, I found a small tote with 3 quilt fronts and a table runner in it. I wanted to join in this VQW, as I always enjoy them, but didn't want to start any new projects because I want to send my machine to be cleaned and serviced next weekend, it well deserves a spa day. Finding these fronts, was perfect, great timing to finish them up. I have two quilted, and the binding pinned on one, and the other one is ready to be pinned, and the third one is sandwhiched and just needs to be quilted and bound.
Happy New Year everyone, So nice to read about what everyone is working on or rearranging or cleaning, lol. Iceblossom, I sure hope DH's symptoms remain mild, and I hope you can avoid it. Thank you Heather for hosting these VQW, they are always so inspiring.