Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Platform bed or traditional bed? >

Platform bed or traditional bed?

Platform bed or traditional bed?

Old 01-05-2022, 05:34 AM

We have a nice queen sized mattress inside my old waterbed frame with the drawers underneath.

You do want to look at the height of the platform and get something comfortable to you. Whether something is too high or too low or just right is up to the person. My mother likes her bed up high and has a step stool thing. I like to be able to sit comfortably at the edge of mine with my feet on the floor.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:03 AM

We had a platform bed years ago and they did not sleep that well. There is no "give" to a platform bed and I needed more ability to get my bed to "breath" for me.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I have a traditional looking bed that needs no box springs. The mattress sits on top of the solid frame. Deep and long drawers at the foot board. Floor space underneath. I bought it because it will hold the two independent adjustable mattresses if we decide to go that route later and I am ready for that now. It is very comfortable. It really depends on the mattress.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:12 PM

Salespeople told me that they really don't make mattresses much anymore that require a box spring underneath. Newer mattresses usually have several layers of stuff inside them, different foams, ect. I got a temper pedic one with one of the movable bases so I can raise my head a bit as I have gastric reflux. I love it. I also opted to get the one with the "cooling technology cover" as foam mattresses can be hot to sleep on. I paid more for this mattress then I ever did before. I have been sleeping on it for about 4 years now and it is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. I have fibromyalgia and my pressure points don't hurt, I also have a bad shoulder and again, it is comfortable for me. I did try it out in the store for about 15 minutes but you really can't tell until you have tried it for a few nights. I had bought one with firmer support first thinking that was what I needed, but it came with an exchange provision, and I did trade it back in for the one mentioned above as it just was not comfortable. Oh, and I also measured the height from the floor when I got it as I did not want to have use a step to get into the bed.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:46 PM

This is a very interesting thread for me. We have an old bed (circa 1980) that is the perfect height for us and for the dogs. The frame, however, looks awful. I went bed shopping once and all the beds were so tall and I'm not! I didn't want to have to use a step stool to get into bed and I would have had to lift the dogs onto the bed as the ramp wouldn't have been tall enough for them to get up on their own so I didn't buy one. The platform bed idea would be great. If the covid recession and resulting oil recession ever goes away and I have money again, I'm going to have to shop for one.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:02 PM

We bought a king size platform bed three years ago when we moved into our condo and we like it. We have a 100% latex mattress that we've had for 12 years on it and it's really comfortable! The bed has two drawers in the end and it's a little bit higher than I like, but not too bad. I do like not having box springs.

The only problem we've had is with the wooden slats squeaking on the wooden frame. I understand that can be a problem with them. I bought some bees wax and put it on the frame where the slats rest on it and covered the top of the slats with flannel before we put the platform back on and voila! No more squeaks!

Last edited by SherylM; 01-05-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:13 AM

I love my platform bed.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

we had one before we moved, and it was great. very comfortable. i'd get one again if i found one i liked.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:38 PM

Our mattress is 13" thick and sits on a platform my husband made.Very comfy.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Salespeople told me that they really don't make mattresses much anymore that require a box spring underneath.
A lot of the newer mattresses require air flow underneath or you void the warranty.

I've never owned a box spring that wasn't anything more than a wooden box covered with fabric. So, in essence, a platform. Someone once told me that some models used to have actual springs in them, but when was the last time you saw one of those in a store?