Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 01-11-2022, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I went in this morning and decided to figure out a color palette for my National Quilt Museum bom for the year- looking through scraps ( I sent away 2 large flat rate boxes this past week but still find boxes of them) but, anyway I opened a box and found it contained all grays to black fabrics from when I made the Labyrinth walk quilts 8 or 9 years ago- so, I decided grays to black and red will be this year’s palette. Made my January block ( I might remake it- I kind of think I used too much red) but then organized all the fabrics for that project for the year- all together in one place. Then I pulled a bunch of books that have to go somewhere- not sure where yet but they are not going back on the shelves. Cleaned up my cutting table, and rearranged the rulers in their rack as they should be. I have to work Wednesday and Thursday so that’s about it for the now. Hopefully I will get more done this weekend
Old 01-11-2022, 07:11 PM

Hi,,everyone! Happy New Years! Really late jumping in on the thread but you guys are smokin’ already in the new year goals! Loved reading your posts and seeing your commitment to your goals! A couple of you have a heavy load with your moving..I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Over Christmas, we reviewed our home project list and decided to tackle my sewing room ideas. So, that is what I’ve been doing. New shelves, corner work surface, new cabinet, wall organizers, and my quilt properly hung on a curtain rod…..which led to me painting some wall decor and displaying the many wall hangings I made for this room but have yet to hang… I pat myself on the back for arranging the contractor to install electrical outlets mid-wall and well as floor level so when this corner work surface was eventually installed, I’d have access to electrical. (In the picture of my rulers, you can see the floor tile in bathroom I chose….pinwheel block…lol)

Before and after pics…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	056E63B6-71F1-467B-8604-09F51E4C9CD9.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	637256   Click image for larger version

Name:	C9473A9D-B6A8-4DA6-83CD-8060B90D1B99.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	637257   Click image for larger version

Name:	7A762522-CF00-4097-9110-0B9052E6EBCA.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	637258   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE58E224-2CC9-41CC-B19E-19A1EC2F0A3C.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	637259  

Last edited by Teen; 01-11-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:00 AM

What a wonderful transformation Teen. Your sewing studio looks like a happy place to create. BTW, Love the bathroom tile.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:55 AM

Rryder- Rob, your pantry looks great! Always sad to see items that spoiled, but at least you found out now and not while preparing a dish that needed it.

Teen- Congratulations on the the new sewing space! It looks amazing and so very soothing.

Retired Teacher- don’t you just love dressers for organizing? I bought one to store precuts in and I love it for the added horizontal surface too, a win win.

I am currently pulling fabrics for this years projects. I got fabrics pulled for one and I pulled a kit I purchased several years ago and labeled the fabrics and double checked that none were missing any fabrics. Unfortunately I was shorted a yard so I will look through my stash and find a suitable replacement. Note to self, always check fabric when received to ensure you got what you paid for.

Great progress everyone!
Old 01-12-2022, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I'm loving everyone's pics!
I always like this time of year to reorganize, etc. There's nothing to do outside which leaves plenty of time. I'm getting ready to do my sewing room like I did last year. Tallchick- awesome! Doesn't that feel good? I do the same thing.
Rob- pantry looks great. My husband is the main kitchen person. I'd love for him to see your pics lol.
Teen- your quilt! That's the one I want to copy and have started (copycat Sue) It's just fantastic! And I love your new room.
I'm starting off 2022 well. No fabric purchases!!! I really want to use stash and also get rid of a lot I don't want.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:42 AM

On 2-17-2015 was this thread,

"Hari-Kuyo ,memorial service for broken/bent needles/pins".

I'm attached to my bent pins. I think I might need a memorial service to let go.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Hi girls. Lots of really good ideas being posted on this thread. I am listening, so please keep it up!
I found a set of three center divided fabric boxes to organize and store my sewing patterns. I ordered two sets, so that is a starting point for those stacks of inspiration waiting on me to use.
I also got the three-drawer chest from wayfair delivered yesterday and it is in place under the new sewing desk. I really don't want to fill this room too much, for I am pondering painting it. The sewing machine spacer/insert is ordered for the arrow desk and bernina. It is four to six weeks for delivery. (OMG!) Thank the Lord I have the other machines to use until I get it in the mail.
I had to replace my address book, it was depressing me every time I opened it all those people gone to heaven. While I was writing the names and numbers in the new address book , I called to see if my niece's number was current. She called me back and I got the skinny on what she is up to in her life. Five years goes by quickly. She graduated college with her degree and is working a new job in skin care development. Boil it all down and I promised her a new quilt. I just happened to have a perfect quilt kit that has been stored for four years and I adapted it with some new fabric to fill her favorite color combinations. I am thrilled to report, I have a queen-sized quilt all cut and ready to sew. Whew, that was a job and took three days (here and there) to cut all the pieces. Now to do some power sewing and get it made. Yay! A win, win. I get the fabric used and out of my closet and she gets a new quilt from her auntie.
Keep on organizing girls, we will get through this together.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-12-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
On 2-17-2015 was this thread,

"Hari-Kuyo ,memorial service for broken/bent needles/pins".

I'm attached to my bent pins. I think I might need a memorial service to let go.
Exactly...LOL

Rob
Old 01-13-2022, 07:26 AM

CKCowl- sounds like you are making lots of progress. Good job finding stash/scraps to use for your BOM.

Teen- your sewing room is looking great- glad you got some more of your quilts displayed.

Today I've got both a dentist appointment and a PT session, so not much in the way of organizing today. I did go through my pins yesterday and held a ceremony for the bent ones (the vast majority of the ones in my pincushions fit this category) and then restocked with straight ones.

A tip that I picked up from somewhere (can't remember where) is if you're having a hard time getting started in a particular room, then find all the things that are obviously trash and get rid of those things first. It's amazing how much stuff you can find that fits the trash or recycle category and you may find that's all you need to do in some areas. In my case, it was a lot of broken stuff that I had been hoarding with the idea that someday I would fix it. But the reality is that I had plenty of other things to use so I didn't need to keep the broken stuff and realistically, most of it would not have been nice enough to donate even if I'd fixed it- so into the trash or recycle bin it went. It's time for me to apply this principle to the closet in my other studio space since I'm pretty sure it's filled with stuff that can probably go straight into the trash or recycle bin. That would give me room to store some items that I actually do use, but not often enough to keep out on my work tables...

Keep it up everyone!

Rob
Old 01-13-2022, 08:17 AM

Discovered I have a lot of "antiques" packed away. No one in my family wants them. Been pulling out of their hiding places. A lady DD knows is starting a business. She's coming tomorrow.

Went to a friends house. She loves her things. Came home and admired my minimal decorating (got that way because we're showing the house for sale).

After the "antiques" (everyone has a different definition) lady takes away more things, I could hang some quilts.