Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your first quilt memory? >

What is your first quilt memory?

What is your first quilt memory?

Old 01-12-2022, 03:17 PM

Default First quilt….

I was recently reminded of an earlier quilt I used as a child. It was an amazing crazy quilt that today might be worth thousands due to the complexity of the embroideries. I was about eight and used to fall asleep while petting a favorite block.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:08 PM

I remember playing/hiding under a large quilt frame as our mothers, grandmothers, etc. were hand quilting the quilt.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:47 PM

I did not have or see a quilt while I was growing up. I understand my Grandmother quilted but not when I new her. I ask my Mother " what happened to the quilts my grandma made and Mother told me they wore out. When I was about 48 yrs of age I took a quilting class from the college near by and I made 4 quilts (quilt as you go) I was never happy with the way the teacher did this. Later after not working anymore I joined the quilting guild and to tell the truth this board was how I learned to quilt. So much information on here and I taught myself. I am not to good at FMQ but at least they are finished. No one had ever made me a quilt until I joined the secret Santa on here and I received a quilt and will treasure it forever.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:03 PM

My first quilt memory was when my paternal grandmother sent me a bed quilt and a small doll quilt for my birthday one year. It was so pretty and I still have it. She sent one to my brother also. There were various quilts from both grandmother's over the years. Some got used until they were worn out. Some, like this one, were treasured and not given hard use. It seems like quilts were always in our house.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:52 AM

My Aunt was my Martha Stewart, I always admired her talents. She had a group of ladies who would come and help hand quilt her quilts. I was 15 when I asked her to teach me to hand quilt so I could go over to her house and help her finish her quilts. Strangely I learned how to HQ, before learning how to sew.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:57 AM

I was going off to college and was excited about decorating my dorm room. One day, a lady came knocking at our door.
She was selling her quilts door to door...(1976 was the year). I answered the door and she was holding a denim quilt.
I loved blue jeans and thought it would be an awesome " bedspread" for my dorm room. I remember paying her $30.
I used it through college, with all 3 kids baseball and football games, and picnics. It was very heavy but warm. I recently gave it to my son for his family. (GD is 16mo old). He spreads it out for her to play on and takes to tailgate football games.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:04 AM

When I was a very young girl, two of my great aunts who were quilters gave my mother garbage bags of unfinished tops to quilt when she wanted to learn to do it. My grandfather made her a quilt frame that took up all of our tiny living room, and I had to crawl under it for months to pass through the room! Aside from that, the first actual quilt I can remember was a heavy sunbonnet sue that laid on my bed until I was a teenager.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:43 AM

I had several quilts when I was a kid. Didn't appreciate them for their craft at that time but they were great in the winter. I remember one I had that was of several blocks all different ladies in the old southern dresses with an umbrella. They were so pretty to just look at and pretend stories about them. Mom even made me a birthday cake one year like them. I had a GREAT mom. There were lots of other quilts too!
Old 01-13-2022, 12:21 PM

My oldest sister Margie, 21 years older than me, was a quilter and my first memory was of her with a pile of fabric pieces sewing them into a design and I was fascinated. I always wanted to learn how to do what she was doing but she lived a 1000 miles away. When I was a teenager she made each of us 3 younger girls a quilt top. What a treasure. It wore out about 50 years ago and is long gone. I believe my middle sister still has hers and my youngest sister's is long worn out.
About15 years ago she sent up to me many of her old patterns since her health had been failing and she could no longer quilt. I made her a quilt and sent it back down to her. She was thrilled.
With out her letting me watch her stitch together all those little pieces I may never have become a quilter. She was my inspiration.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:17 AM

I had a single bed and the pink appliqué quilt was made by Mom before she was married. She was a farm wife and kept so busy helping Dad that she never made another one so I never saw her quilting but she patched clothes and sewed dresses. I recall when I was about 8-9 seeing my Grandmother hand quilting a quilt on a frame in her tiny living room. BTW - I have both quilts. Lucky me !