Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New quilter in Toronto >

New quilter in Toronto

New quilter in Toronto

Old 01-14-2022, 12:01 PM

Welcome! :-) You've found the right place - lots of inspiration and encouragement here!
Old 01-14-2022, 12:30 PM

Thank so much! Yes I have been marking all my seam lines with a 1/4” spacer and tailors chalk. I have access to a machine if I wish but I’ve chosen to work by hand. I am in it for the process not the results. As I said to my mother in law: I don’t want a quilt, I want TO quilt.

I’d be happy to share the first couple baby quilts I’ve made but I can’t figure out how to post a photo in these forums. Any advice there haha?
Old 01-14-2022, 01:34 PM

Howdy from Texas, Matt. It's always good to see new members here who can share their experiences & knowledge. You will find lots of help here if you have questions. I'd love to see your quilts that you've made. To post a picture, after you've typed in your message, scroll down to the box that says "go advanced". From there, go to "manage attachments" & then upload your file & click on the "upload" (you have to scroll way over to the right as it is in the far, upper right hand corner). If, for some reason your picture does not load it is probably because it is too large. Just go back & reduce the size & try again. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:52 PM

Thank You @osewme ! Here are the two baby ones so far. the First one has too many flaws and loose stitching so it will stay with my dog. The second one improved my quilting technique and am getting 5-6 stitches per inch. Its going in the mail to a friend's baby this week.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5A54608E-B20E-4176-A036-11A7939D463E.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	637307   Click image for larger version

Name:	13107A45-3101-4EDC-88B0-0704DD1D6E8B.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	637308   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DB278EE-C3CF-4C98-924D-CEFA6DE81625.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	637309   Click image for larger version

Name:	E4FBE155-1726-4701-8F70-8CAA9DF652D2.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	637310  
Old 01-14-2022, 04:40 PM

Welcome from south west Ontario - it's a great hobby you've taken up.
Everyone here is very helpful and welcoming, so enjoy the QB.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:28 PM

Those are both great, and it looks like your furbaby loves your new hobby, too! Good for you for knowing what you want from quilting. You will find quilters of all sorts here. Like you, I'm rather fond of the process and am happiest when I don't actually have a hard deadline to work to - it's nice to just keep playing with the fabric. That being said, finishing a project is always satisfying. :-)
Old 01-15-2022, 07:47 AM

Look at you go, not only posting pictures but pictures of quilts made by hand!

There is something called Quilter's Tape (we have specialty products for so many things). It is simply a sticky but not too sticky 1/4" masking tape. You can take a piece to mark your seam lines and reuse it many times.

Eventually you will be able to "see/know" the correct measurement pretty exactly. When I first started, 1/4" seemed impossibly small, I was used to garment construction. A few decades later and even though my vision is declining, I find that 1/4" is actually quite a lot of space.

There are many advantages to hand sewing. Some things like setting in pieces or partial seams are a piece of cake by hand but a real beast by machine.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:20 AM

Hi Matt,
Welcome, from NYC, to the wonderful world of quilting and to the Quilting Board! I've found the members to be very generous and helpful with feedback.
I love handwork, especially hand quilting and embroidery, but typically make quilts by machine. I also love free motion quilting by machine but I'm planning to branch out into mixed media art quilting.
I first began quilting when I saw an exhibit of quilts by Paula Nadelstern. That's the first time I realized that my paradigm of what a quilt is was way too narrow. I would encourage you to feed your eyes and your spirit by exploring quilts of all stripes (Ha! Joke!) on the internet. You will soon learn that the possibilities are endless!
I hope you enjoy everything about your new pastime for many years to come!
Mitch
Old 01-15-2022, 10:45 AM

Hi Matt
Welcome to the world of quilting from northern Ontario.. You did a remarkable job of BOTH quilts in my opinion . Not sure if you have sent off the one baby quilt but hope you put your name and date on it. Must admit I don;t always put a quilt label on it but I know I should.
Love your pup!!
Old 01-17-2022, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Hi Matt, so glad you joined us! This is a great place for all things quilting.
Your quilts are so pretty! But your doggy beats any quilt