Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Shears >

New Shears

New Shears

Old 01-29-2022, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Peckish, thanks for that info on sharpening. I didn't know about it.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:24 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

Kai has a free sharpening program that can't be beat. You pay the cost of postage, they sharpen for free. Last time, I sent 4 pairs in, one of which had a bent tip because I dropped it. They replaced that pair with a brand new pair at no charge.
This is a deal-maker for me!! Guess Kai will be my new pair. Now I have to choose between #5230 and #5240. Decisions, decisions!

And thank you everyone for all your help and input!

Last edited by RustyOne; 01-29-2022 at 10:25 AM. Reason: hit the button too soon
Old 01-30-2022, 06:21 AM

My Mother-in-Law gave me about 30 years a left-handed Gingher scissors. I have treasured and used that so much and no one else in the family better use it. I laid that rule down long time ago when my kids were at home and no one touched it but me. What a meanie I am, right?
Old 01-30-2022, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
My Mother-in-Law gave me about 30 years a left-handed Gingher scissors. I have treasured and used that so much and no one else in the family better use it. I laid that rule down long time ago when my kids were at home and no one touched it but me. What a meanie I am, right?
Nah. My mother did the same with me and I did the same with my husband when we got married. lol
Old 01-31-2022, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
If you go to a hairdresser, you might check with them when their shear sharpener comes to do all theirs as he could do yours too. I live in a small town so having to drive to another town during the winter time is out of the question for me. I rarely use my shears and I keep them in their original box. I doubt if I've used mine in the last 12 years or more so they're as good as new. I gave my pinking shears to my sister as I have a pinking shear blade for my rotary cutter that works great for me. Picked it up on Nancy's Notion site.
This. Many professional shops have knife services and "the guy" has a regular route. The guy in my area actually lives about 10 min from my house and does work at his house, but I am aware of how rare/lucky my situation.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:36 AM

I have WISS, Ginghers, Kai, Fiskers. I have a lot of scissors but they must not be popular brands? I recently bought a pair of Gugenheimers and they are super nice!
Old 02-01-2022, 05:57 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
I have WISS, Ginghers, Kai, Fiskers. I have a lot of scissors but they must not be popular brands? I recently bought a pair of Gugenheimers and they are super nice!
I have Wiss (now retired), Gingher (nonfunctioning), and tossed my Fiskars back when I got my Wiss. Gonna try Kai.

Sharpening IS an issue here. I live in the true boonies. If there is a local guy sharpening here, I haven't been able to find him despite a solid effort and I just don't trust the mails. Over the holidays one of our Alabama drivers tossed over 700 packages and envelopes in a ravine nearby and I got 4 refunds for stuff as a result, which is why I won't trust my Wiss shears to the mail. So I'm gonna try Kai right after I finish my taxes!!

Last edited by RustyOne; 02-01-2022 at 05:59 AM. Reason: to add info
Old 02-01-2022, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by RustyOne View Post
Over the holidays one of our Alabama drivers tossed over 700 packages and envelopes in a ravine nearby and I got 4 refunds for stuff as a result, which is why I won't trust my Wiss shears to the mail. So I'm gonna try Kai right after I finish my taxes!!
.... you do realize in order to have the Kai sharpened, you have to mail them, right? 🤔
Old 02-01-2022, 11:50 AM

After reading your reviews, I bought a Kai 8" dressmakers scissors (V5210) on Amazon. It does cut very well, but is a little too big and heavy for my hand. I've had all the good brands, starting with Wiss, then Ginghers, then Fiskars. I'm going back to Fiskars because they cut well, fit my hand, are light weight and inexpensive ($8.98 on Amazon). I'll keep the Kai, but they're not my favorite. Love hearing about what you like!
Old 02-01-2022, 04:08 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
.... you do realize in order to have the Kai sharpened, you have to mail them, right? 🤔
That's why I'm insisting on the really low-end Kai's. I've finally settled on the 5210's, which are $17.99. Sharpening is $20+/-. So instead of sharpening, I'll toss 'em and buy new, 'though after reading SallyS's post on Fiskars, maybe THAT's the way to go?!?

LOLOLOL. Just when I think I've got the whole thing worked out, I find I'm back at square 1. I think I give up!!!