Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English Paper Piecing >

English Paper Piecing

English Paper Piecing

Old 03-06-2022, 08:58 AM

The smaller the needle and thread, the smaller the stitches will be. This in a matching thread makes them almost invisible.
I use The Bottom Line thread by Libby Lehman and an applique needle. Always sew with your pieces right sides together and make a horizontal stitch. This has worked for me. I hope you find something helpful therein.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:04 AM

When I first started paper piecing I put wrong sides together and whip stitched. The stitches showed through. When I put the right sides together and whip stitched, the stiches disappeared. Perhaps that is what is happening with you?
Old 03-07-2022, 06:23 AM

I use silk thread and the finest needle with an eye I can thread. I probably have close to a dozen stitches on a one inch side, and I put several stitches in the same place on each end for reinforcement. The longer you do EPP, the better you get at making them nearly invisible.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

When I glue baste I use a glue stitch , run a very thin line across the very edge of the fabric the fold it over the paper piece & give it a quick press with my iron. I don’t get glue on my fingers, there’s not very much, it holds tight and is easy to pop the papers out when it’s time.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:58 PM

Just an added FYI ......I like to use a paper punch to put a hole in the center of my papers. That was missing on the blocks I photographed because my punch is mia. I will be sure to get another paper punch before I start the blocks with the smaller papers. It’s going to be a “ Smitten” quilt someday btw. Anyway when I am all assembled I put a good show on the tv and pull out a crochet hook. I can pull the threads and remove my hole punched papers on a good sized project with amazing speed. I am always a bit shocked when I am done!
Old 03-07-2022, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
Just an added FYI ......I like to use a paper punch to put a hole in the center of my papers. That was missing on the blocks I photographed because my punch is mia. I will be sure to get another paper punch before I start the blocks with the smaller papers. It’s going to be a “ Smitten” quilt someday btw. Anyway when I am all assembled I put a good show on the tv and pull out a crochet hook. I can pull the threads and remove my hole punched papers on a good sized project with amazing speed. I am always a bit shocked when I am done!
Ooohh! I like that idea!
Old 03-08-2022, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
I'm thinking about starting Smitten. Did you do the large hexies as shown on the pattern or smaller ones? I'm thinking about making the blocks with smaller (1" hexies) and compatible other shapes.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

When I first started to do hexies at guild sew days, one member told me she could see my stitches and they were too big. I thought all this work and no one can see it? I got thick thread and made big stitches. It looked amazing. I won first place at state fair, not a quilt, I made a table runner and every stitch could be seen in contrasting floss thread. The stitches were big but even. That was the first and only project I completed doing EPP. Oh the member still told me it wasn't real EPP. LOL I got the ribbon.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Oh the member still told me it wasn't real EPP. LOL I got the ribbon.
I just love when someone decides that what you are doing isn't the "real" ______________. It always makes me want to say "Who made you the quilt god?"
Old 03-08-2022, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'm thinking about starting Smitten. Did you do the large hexies as shown on the pattern or smaller ones? I'm thinking about making the blocks with smaller (1" hexies) and compatible other shapes.
So far those four large hexies in my picture are it in terms of output so like the pattern. They are quite large and do seem to be gobbling more fabric than normal compared to other EPP projects I have done so going smaller may be a good idea. I am doing the large ones first because of needed fabric quantity. This is the first large EPP project I have ever done using my leftovers from other quilts so many my pieces aren’t large and I sort for awhile to find pieces that will work together in my scraps. I have contemplated just ordering some more fat quarters and making life easier!