Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's talk about shipping >

Let's talk about shipping

Let's talk about shipping

Old 03-08-2022, 08:23 AM

And then there's the popular company that takes your order and doesn't fill it promptly. I ordered from Missouri Star on February 10th and received it this week- about March 5th. Every time I checked tracking, it said 'Unfulfilled'. I'm glad I had other things to work on while I waited.

berrynice, have you tried soaking in OxiClean to see what you can salvage?

Last edited by Irishrose2; 03-08-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

A lot of problems have occurred because of Covid but MSQC has never had good shipping and I don't know why. I only order from them when I'm not in a hurry. They should address that.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:15 AM

I was at a local mall one day. As I was heading into the mall I watched a UPS driver throw boxes marked "fragile glass", in big bold letters, off the truck onto a flatbed trolley. You could hear glass breaking. He didn't care.

My husband uses self catheters. One day a shipment had arrived. The driver left it on our porch as usual. The box had been soaked at some point. The inside box had been soaked as well as the catheters. I called the company. They asked for photos so they could put in a claim to UPS & sent out a new order.

I have gotten many packages ripped open, wet or damaged in some way. Many are so dirty they have to be wiped off before bringing them inside or opening them. We also don't have home delivery of mail. We have to go to our local post office & pick our mail up. So UPS, FedEx often drops packages off at the post office. So why are we being charged for home deliver?? Good question. One package weighed over 40 pounds & our postal lady wasn't happy they dropped it off at the post office.

I tape heavy when I mail a package. I even tape the label to keep it from getting wet & info smudged.

Get this.....years ago a friend in Sweden sent me a ceramic plate. She put it in a heavy paper shopping bag with handles. Stapled & taped it shut. Put a label on it. The plate was only wrapped in tissue paper. Somehow it managed to make it all the way to PA unbroken.

I bubble wrap anything that may get broken, stuff the box full of paper or bubble wrap & heavily tape the box when I mail a package. I even tape the label to keep it from getting wet & info smudged.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:37 AM

My last order I received from a well known fabric store took so long, if I had been in a hurry for the item I would have been upset. I thought I might think twice before ordering again…then #1 daughter text me. She loved the daily deal layer cake. Ok here we go again bc I have been waiting almost 2 years for her to choose fabrics. (#2 daughter likes EVERYTHING, kinda like their mamma&#129315 so bc she wants large quilt we both ordered Daily deal even though postage on each, it was cheaper to order this way. Hers came in Friday after almost two weeks. My order was just ‘fulfilled’ Thursday, the day before, so it will be another week or two for mine to arrive bc last time an order set in Southaven Mississippi for 5 days! So I’m expecting it will be close to a month to come from two states away. Oh and my order that I spoke about at first, while waiting for it, I ordered from another site way further away and got it in in 4 days from my ordering. They shipped right out and no delays with shippers.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I order from MSQC for most of my online quilt shopping. Sometimes I get the order in just a few days sometimes it takes several weeks. QIAD is about the same. Accuquilt can take a month or more or three days, I never know. I ordered from an online independent quilt shop and it took two months. They shipped it the cheapest way even though I paid regular priority mail. Amazon has a distribution center not far from me so I get most Amazon orders the next day. Walmart is usually three days. Sam's Club is three days too. Target is about two weeks. I've never needed an emergency order of fabric or quilting supplies.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:11 AM

I've startind to order online because of Covid restrictions and have had mixed results. Everything has been in perfect condition. However, you don't get to "feel" the fabric and the colors you see on your screen can be way off. I've become more picky about ordering precuts online as sometimes I get the feeling that some of the precut fabrics were just thrown in the stack because they did not sell well. I've had good luck mostly and I love not being limited to the fabric in a fabric store.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
And then there's the popular company that takes your order and doesn't fill it promptly. I ordered from Missouri Star on February 10th and received it this week- about March 5th. Every time I checked tracking, it said 'Unfulfilled'. I'm glad I had other things to work on while I waited.

berrynice, have you tried soaking in OxiClean to see what you can salvage?
No, it was unsalvageable. It was really bad. I wept silent tears as I tossed it all.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:30 PM

2 quilts for my nieces. Delivered to the wrong house AND SIGNED FOR. But obviously not by my cousin\their mother. She had to go knock on door to get it returned. I was breathing FIRE.

points this was not a failure of the shipper - but the person. Should not have signed for not their package.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:06 AM

I'll share a good shipping catastrophe. In the 80s, I teamed up with my sister-in-law to special order stained glass by the crate. We selected the exact pieces we wanted even though that is more expensive. Each sheet is about 4 feet by 4 feet, and each crate weighed about 1,000 pounds. I ordered 2 crates, a nail-bitingly large purchase for me at that time. When they arrived, they had fallen over on their side. The driver had cut their stability straps! They left them on their side in the yard and agreed to replace the order, which they did. 2 more crates arrived unharmed. When I examined the first shipment, Some pieces were in several large pieces, while some were in half-still quite usable. I now had 4 crates of glass for the price of 2. I haven't needed to purchased glass in 30 years.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	glassroom.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	919.6 KB
ID:	638520  
Old 03-09-2022, 07:12 AM

I can vouch for 2 online fabric stores that ship quickly and carry good quality fabrics. Crafttown Fabrics and Whittles. I usually have my order in less than a week.