Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question >

Question

Question

Old 03-15-2022, 02:51 AM

Default Question

I'm not sure where to post this. Thrift shop find. I have purchased a partially finished stamped cross-stitch top for a baby quilt. There were no instructions as to recommended floss colors but, since part of the teddy bear is completed, I have an idea it is supposed to be several colors. There is nothing on the edges to indicate the company who produced this, nothing to give me an idea where to look for help. Is there another website where I should post this? The piece has sunflowers in the center at the bottom. There are bunnies in the 4 corners, a sun and a teddy bear on it. All help will be appreciated. PS--yes, it is stamped for quilting. Does this qualify my request for help for posting here?
Old 03-15-2022, 03:12 AM

Go to Bucilla.com. They (I believe) used to sell many of those kits. I know I did more than a couple in my past life, lol. They may be able to help you with pattern/colors. I don't think that particular pattern was one that I had done. And I believe I purged all my old stitch sheets for any of them. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:08 AM

Jack Dempsey and Dimensions are two other companies to check out. Between these and Bucilla I can't think of another company. maybe someone else will come up with another name.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:58 AM

Sunset, I think, is no longer a company, at least in the US, but there are many kits around. Dimensions has been sold by Wilton and now is run from China, with floss colors that don't seem to correllate with those in the US, but quite a few of the old kits are around. It also could be Janlynn.

Hoping that helps,
charlotte
Old 03-15-2022, 08:37 AM

Herschnerr's used to have a lot of needlework kits and patterns. I haven't used them in years so I'm not sure how they are now, but it might be worth checking out.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:01 AM

Google has an image search feature many people don't know about. If you can take a picture, you may or may not get results there.
https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Using the "advanced" image search I put in search words like bear, sunflower, bunny, cross-stitch but I didn't find anything like you are describing -- but maybe if you looked you might see something stylistically similar to have a starting point to search.
https://www.google.com/advanced_image_search

Good luck! Sounds adorable. Even if you can't find an exact guide, I'm sure it will be great.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't understand the question... are you looking for the exact color floss to use in the top? What's wrong with making up your own color scheme to finish the quilt? The baby certainly won't know!
Old 03-15-2022, 11:14 AM

If you could post a picture that would be helpful. There are so many different designs for baby quilts so I am doubting you will be able to find information unless someone on this board has made one and has instructions or remembers what colors they used. I have a large supply of embroidery thread and when I start something new I just do a bit of searching among the colors that I have and lay them out together on the pattern I plan to do. One can pretty much tell what colors compliment one another and what combination will result in a pleasing finished product. The suggested colors are fine but sometimes one comes up with a more pleasing combination on their own. This is your chance to do a bit of working out your own color combination. If in doubt you might ask a friend to help you but I am sure you can come up with a pleasing result on your own. Sometimes we do best by using directions only as a guide and striking off on our own. Variety is the spice of life. I am sure you will come up with a pleasing result. Keep us posted and show a picture if it works out for you to do so.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:09 AM

Thank you to those who have tried to help me in my search for the original. There sure are a lot of cross-stitch baby quilt tops out there! So far, no luck seeing the one in question. I'm wondering if there is a forum such as the Quiltingboard but for this type of embroidery that I can post this question. I may end up as some of you suggested, doing my own thing but I'd like to see a picture of this just for an idea of what was intended.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:01 AM

umm....I would just look at my stash of DMC and pick some pretty colors!