Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Painters' tape for quilting >

Painters' tape for quilting

Painters' tape for quilting

Old 03-16-2022, 02:16 AM

Default Painters' tape for quilting

I use a walking foot to quilt most of my smaller quilts. I use the seams to guide some quilting and also mark with a blue wash away marker. But sometimes I just want to make straight lines. I'm wondering what brand of painters' tape you find actually sticks without popping up mid-way through long lines of quilting. I have tried any number of brands and weights with very frustrating results.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:53 AM

I've only used the blue painters tape for that purpose in the past and been disappointed. I'd try the green 'frog tape' as I know it sticks much better to surfaces when painting, lol, but can't say for sure about fabric.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:40 AM

There are multiple variations of "sticky" in painter's tape. The roll I have currently is Pro-Mask Blue. I picked it up at an ACE Hardware store. But my best suggestion is to use the best quality you can find and afford. The cheaper house brand tapes often are not sticky enough. The good ones can be laid out on the quilt, picked up and reset in a new place several times.

I have never used FROG Tape. Perhaps another QB member will give you more hints.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I just put a few pins down masking tape to hold it in place. Frog tape is expensive but they have some cool different design edge tape if you want to try wavy lines or others.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:36 AM

I blue painter's tape doesn't stick very well on fabrics. Just my take on the subject. Have you tried the green painter's tape? Think Gorilla Glue might have a tape of their own too.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:41 AM

I would worry about the leftover, practically invisible adhesive from anything other than the blue painters tape. I also have used pins to hold down the blue painters tape if it starts coming up.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I use regular packaging tape. It sticks and pulls off fabric fine. I've never had a problem with it.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:08 AM

I too use the blue professional Painter's tape. Works great for the task at had and holds well.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:11 AM

I love blue tape and keep a roll in my sewing kit for a lot of uses/reasons.

For quilting though, as Onebyone suggested, I'd use a more standard masking tape. I also keep a roll of 1/4" quilters tape in my sewing kit. I use it mostly to mark lines on my rulers to help me see where I'm cutting. There are a couple of brands and options like Dritz that are easily available on the notion wall or thrown in with an internet order. Keep in mind that it is reusable, I think most people use/re-use pieces around foot length -- although you could mark long lines easily.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:57 AM

I use the blue painters tape a lot. I use the original 3m brand. I use the wider 2" size to hold down my cutting mats (on the under side) and I use the 1" size to mark my sewing table to keep my seams straight. I also use the 3m blue painters 1/4" tape to mark my rulers when I'm cutting fabric so that I don't have to keep checking to make sure I'm cutting with the right measurement.

I don't use it on my fabric though, never have as I use quilting rulers instead