Aunt Daisy's Quilt Along

Old 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM

Woo, those are fun QSTs, sewbiz!

Macybaby, what a great variety of fabrics!
Old 03-08-2022, 01:41 PM

MacyBaby - Just had to say a quick hi! and I recognize some of your fabric from the Booms! What a fun way to use the extra!
Old 03-12-2022, 09:47 AM

Good day/evening everyone. I’m sitting on the fence debating on this BOM . I really, really like this QAL. I have saved all of the directions so far. This years BHMQ has taken all of my scrappy background fabric. So I would have to invest in background FQ fabric. (Any suggestions on who sells only light background fq). I would plan to do the queen size quilt adding inches to reach 120” on the sides. My plan to do in FQ’s in a controlled scrappy colors. I lean towards cool colors. So batiks mixed in with other fabrics that plays well with batiks. Fabric colors; assortments of blues, greens, purples, lavender, aqua, maybe throw in some gold and brown or gray. I figure I will add on fabric as I go along. Like I did with the BHMQ project. I figure I can catch up in a month or so. Can you tell I’m really trying to talk myself into starting this project?. LOL 😂
Old 03-12-2022, 11:24 AM

happylab, I routinely check on Etsy, searching, 'low volume fabric bundle' for lighter neutrals. Of course, this will usually involve separate shipping charges, which can add up.

L'il Red Hen quilt shop makes it easy to search for neutrals, as they have a 'by color' option and a neutral section. Last time I checked they would sell 1/4 yd. (but not a fat quarter).
Old 03-12-2022, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Happylab, I have seen neutrals bundles at Piecing the Past and also at Quilted Twins in the past. Give them a look. This is a very fun QAL!
Old 03-12-2022, 09:58 PM

Thank-you joe’smom & Sewbizgirl for the info I will check it out.

This QAL looks really fun. I will see what I have in my stash to sew along. 10 yards of background fabric is my current issue. I may need to use several different pieces that closely resemble each other on color. The other fabrics are not an issue. I just have to dig.
Old 03-13-2022, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Happylab, I'm using scrappy neutrals for my backgrounds. I can't see how it could possibly total 10 yds.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:02 PM

It looks like most of the neutral fat quarter bundles are pretty expensive when you figure out the price per yard. I have been looking in the sales part of any quilt shop I go into to see if there are any neutrals although there is often a 1-yard minimum purchase in the sale section. Also, if the shop happens to have fat quarters and happens to have a sale on them, I will look for them there. Ha, I do have some yardage of neutrals in quantity enough to use them for backings and if I actually used them for the backings, I would have scraps!
Old 03-17-2022, 10:04 PM

I found a piece of backing for this project. Next week project, to find fabrics to match my backing. I want to make it a controlled scrappy, using purples, blues, aqua, & greens. Time to go digging and planning fabric colors for the different parts of the top.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:46 AM

I use a lot of neutral scrappy, so normally buy it by half or full yard pieces and not fat quarter.

There are a lot of times I'll want to do a project that takes a lot of fabric for the background, like 5-6 yards, and I rarely have that size pieces in my stash.

The Aunt Daisy pattern would also be really neat to do controlled colors. I messed around with it on EQ8 and you can get some really neat designs doing it more like a medallion quilt too.