Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I quilt this ? >

How do I quilt this ?

How do I quilt this ?

Old 03-21-2022, 08:10 AM

Default How do I quilt this ?

As I have posted before, I am a beginner. I have only stitched in the ditch and not yet ready for free motion quilting. I made this beginners quilt top and don't know how to quilt it. First off, I cant stich in the vertical lines because they are not even. I also don't know what color thread to use. I have used white in the past because my quilt was mostly white but this quilt has more vibrant colors. The beginner mistakes will show up more if I use white.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	astick quilt.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	638722  

Last edited by proudmomtoE; 03-21-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:17 AM

Can't advise you about quilting ideas but as to thread color I've found using natural seems to blend with any color. Also, it was recently recommend to me to use a pale gray thread and that worked very well. I like to lay a single strand of the thread on the quilt to get an idea of how it will look.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:06 AM

I, too, have not graduated to free motion. I do a lot of children's quilts, so they are often brightly colored. I've found that Gutermann invisible thread works well for me when I'm in your situation. It's color #111. I get it at Jo Ann's. (It's made from polyamide and used in most industrial clothing manufacturing.) I use it in the top and regular thread in the bobbin (that blends with the backing). I have a vintage Singer 401 that I mostly use when quilting. I use a walking foot. If you get your tension balanced, the color of the thread for the backing will not show on the front. (Occasionally, I loosen the top tension a bit. I probably don't need to.The first time I tried invisible thread (Coats and Clark), it stretched so bad, it puckered the fabric.)

For how to quilt it, I would do stitch in the ditch or something similar on the horizontal seams. Then I would pick a vertical seam about 5" from the edge lines up and just follow it as close as you can to the bottom. How close you put your quilting lines depends on your batting. I generally use Warm and Natural, so I try to sew a quilting line every 5".

Another option is to do diagonal lines. I've done that before, too. Because your thread is invisible, you won't notice if the line is a little crooked, especially after it's washed. If you kind of "aim" at the next corner, you don't have to mark it. If I feel like I have to mark a line, I use blue painters tape. I don't do it often enough to know which tape sticks best, but there was a thread about it recently. Just don't sew over the tape, it's really hard to remove when you do. Sew next to it.

So that I don't have to tie threads and worry about back-tacking, I sew off the edge of the top and up (or down) to the next row (on the batting).

bkay
grid.jpggrid2.jpg

Last edited by bkay; 03-21-2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 03-22-2022, 05:33 AM

I would suggest straight line quilting with vertical lines from top to bottom, with each line cutting the block, more or less in half. So, if the center units are about 2”, then quilt 1” from the seam. For the next unit, if it is between 2 and 2.5”, I would do a strait line about 1.25” from the edge (about 2.25” from the last line). And continuing in that manner making the lines strait and coming close to bisecting each unit but understanding it won’t be perfect. As you can see from my photo, my lines are NOT equidistant.

2 more options.

Horizontal lines bisecting each strip, more or less.

Curved horizontal lines.

As to thread, one that is similar to your gold might be lovely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450-2.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	638735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450-3.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	638736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	638737  

Last edited by SuzSLO; 03-22-2022 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:11 AM

Have you considered echoing the pattern of the colors in the white. (On each side of the white about 1/4 in or the with of your presser foot.) I have a friend who does a lot of quilting in gray and as awkward as that may sound, it works. I am a white or cream quilter, but now and again I will stretch out and actually used yellow. Good effect and it blended in well with the backing.Surprised me at how good it looked. I was gifted a cone of soft buttery yellow and needed to use it up some how.

The "how to quilt question" is one the most of us battle with. So, it is not just a question for newbies.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 03-22-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:30 AM

Do you have a serpentine stitch on your machine? Or you could
do some organic waves like SuzSLO mentioned. I would go wavy
vertically and horizontally. It would match the modern look and
you won't have to worry about the ditch or uneven seams.
Take a piece of clear vinyl and a black sharpie and draw those wavy lines and see how you like it. You can erase them with
rubbing alcohol and start all over. Just make sure to use a large sheet of vinyl so you don't accidentally draw on your quilt top.
I also tape blue masking tape all around so I don't draw over the
tape and I know which side is up (for next time).
Keep it rolled on a poster tube for future use.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:02 PM

I know you said you’re not ready for free motion, but I suggest you watch this video: https://youtu.be/yy6F08rbtAU.

I was a newbie to free motion the first (and only) time I did this, and it turned out pretty well. Although in full disclosure I have been following pantographs for years.

Pics of my quilt are here: https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...t-t297971.html .

You should at least watch the video and try to make a practice sandwich. I think this pattern would look good on your quilt and it’s much easier than it looks.

Good luck!

ETA: A light silvery grey thread is good when you have multiple colors in your quilt. In this one it will only show a lot on the darkest color.

Last edited by wesing; 03-22-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:56 AM

I'm going to suggest that your quilt top will look and quilt better if all of your seams lay flat so that no puckers will be in the quilt.
I do agree that straight line quilting with a walking foot would be the best way to go.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:05 AM

I've only free motion quilted once. I've been looking at a lot of videos, Angela Walters are some, and others that suggest looking at the quilt and determine what you want to stand out. I saw a video that I can't find again, with Nancy Ziemans guest who showed quilts that were quilted and how the quilted either stood out or got lost, depending on fabric colors. One thing I learned and think will work on your quilt, but you would need to practice, practice first. I would do horizontal lines in the light blue, meander in the large white area...this will make the black and yellow stand out. the little white in the center could be meandered or mimic the horizontal lines of the blue. Just my thoughts. I am not a great quilter as some others here, but I do like challenging myself and trying new things. Angela walters has some great videos on youtube.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:55 AM

I like SuzSLO's horizontal wavy line the best (the middle one). I think it works best with the design. I would also use, as I said earlier, the invisible thread. (I'm not ready to spend the time to learn FMQ at this time, although I would like to learn., and have purchased a foot one of my machines)

JMHO

bkay