Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slider Mats and/or alternatives >

Slider Mats and/or alternatives

Slider Mats and/or alternatives

Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 PM

Bree123- I have a newish computerized machine that has a pretty large extension table. I still managed to not get a very smooth FM flow w/it , this is why I thought the slider may help. I also did feed dogs up as in Leah Day tutorial but I felt like I had to drag even a small quilt block.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:54 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I use an oven liner mat, bought at a kitchen store for about $10. I positioned it, marked where my needle would go down, and cut out a little hole there. I sometimes put a small piece of tape around different areas of edge to hold it to table. I also use a pair of garden gloves with little grippies on them.
Thank you, this was the sort of answer I was looking for, a budget-friendly
option for those of us with not budget.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:27 AM

I had bought one of those but once I got to FMQ more found I didn't need it and it was more of a nuisance than a help. I don't know what I did that made the difference but my quilts slide nice and easy when I quilt - maybe I am just more relaxed now.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:45 AM

Maybe the slider mats have been improved since this thread came out in 2015. I bought two of them this past year and I have no problem at all with them staying put. And when I take it off, when I am done FMQ, I just rinse the back with water, dry it off and put it away for the next time. No problems with it sticking or staying in place the next time I use it.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:58 PM

I second the oven liner. I have tried both, and find the oven liner better (and cheaper)
Old 03-27-2022, 04:07 PM

Of all products I have bought over the years, I feel this was one of the biggest ripoffs - ever. So many free motion quilters endorse this product and I was so eager to learn that I made this purchase. I managed to stitch the darn thing to my quilt! I can't say it moved any smoother. I repaired the hole with tape and would try again. It was as useless as useless could be. The price is staggering. That oven liner might just be the way to go. It won't be a horrible waster of money like the slider if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Still Sew N View Post
Of all products I have bought over the years, I feel this was one of the biggest ripoffs - ever. So many free motion quilters endorse this product and I was so eager to learn that I made this purchase. I managed to stitch the darn thing to my quilt!
Curious to know which product you're talking about. There were several mentioned in this thread.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:24 AM

I also have the Supreme Slider mat for when I actually use my MC6500P, but have found that I have to use green frog tape to secure it down so that I don't sew it to my quilt.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:36 AM

Carnauba car wax. Good enough for classic cars, good enough for my Machine bed.works great.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by berrynice View Post
Maybe the slider mats have been improved since this thread came out in 2015. I bought two of them this past year and I have no problem at all with them staying put. And when I take it off, when I am done FMQ, I just rinse the back with water, dry it off and put it away for the next time. No problems with it sticking or staying in place the next time I use it.
I wonder the same thing. I had a Supreme Slider that I ruined about 10 years ago (sewing it to my quilt) but nowadays I have no problem using one. The price is a bit ridiculous but I like mine. I got 2 of them really cheap when Craftsy went out of business a few years ago.