Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernina frustration >

bernina frustration

bernina frustration

Old 03-27-2022, 06:44 AM

Oh, I just wanted to add, I don't think the 1/4 inch piecing issue feed is just a problem with the Bernina's. My friend who has a high end Viking with the 9 mm stitch also has a problem with the feeding when trying to do a 1/4 inch seam, her machine does absolutely beautiful embroidery. I think that anyone who wants to do a lot of piecing aught to really try out one of the 5 mm models vs 9 mm models of any of the brands of machines and see how they compare. Bring some triangles and other quilt pieces. It would be interesting to see what we discover. So, those antique machines that only do a straight stitch may be the stars of the piecing game.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Someone mentioned the newer Berninas don't come with a walking foot. With the dual feed you really don't need one.
I love my 770 and have no trouble getting the quarter inch seam. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Someone mentioned the newer Berninas don't come with a walking foot. With the dual feed you really don't need one.
I love my 770 and have no trouble getting the quarter inch seam. Hope you get it figured out.
Susie, How do you set up your 770 for that quarter inch seam? I have been trying different things, currently using my single hole plate, disabled hover, using the 97D foot, using the dual feed. It still wants to hang up on seams sometimes especially when I first start out as the dual feed foot is not on the fabric then, Also when I get to a seam, if the seam is facing toward the back of the machine, it tends to get hung up on the left toe of the machine. I find I have to raise the foot a tad to get that seam back down. I am also using a stiletto as I stitch. I have thought of using the 1 foot and just moving my needle to the right. Thanks for any info you can give me. Oh, and I am using the 1303 straight stitch in the quilt menu
Old 03-27-2022, 07:40 AM

Default 71 foot

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I was at the AQS show in Branson this week and the Bernina vendor was telling a customer to use the no.71 foot for binding. I had to look that number up. Anyone ever used that foot for binding?
Yes, I have used it for about 5 years on my newer 770. There was a great tutorial on utube, about how to use it for binding. It is an older foot, (for older models) but works great!
Old 03-27-2022, 10:59 AM

Well I have been stitching just fine with the adjustments I made to my 590. Hopefully I have mastered my 1/4 inch seam on it!
Old 03-28-2022, 07:08 PM

My co-workers and I (at a Bernina dealership), have decided the best way to piece on a Bernina with the 9mm needle plate hole is to use a #34D foot and move the needle over 3 bumps to the right. Then your fabric is engaged with both feed dogs. With any of the 1/4" feet, the right feed dog does not engage with the fabric (thus the piecing problem). With the needle bumped over 3 to the right, you guide your fabric just inside of the right feed dog. Works perfectly!
Old 03-28-2022, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
My co-workers and I (at a Bernina dealership), have decided the best way to piece on a Bernina with the 9mm needle plate hole is to use a #34D foot and move the needle over 3 bumps to the right. Then your fabric is engaged with both feed dogs. With any of the 1/4" feet, the right feed dog does not engage with the fabric (thus the piecing problem). With the needle bumped over 3 to the right, you guide your fabric just inside of the right feed dog. Works perfectly!
Thanks....I will have to try that also, I was thinking of just using the regular foot and trying that. I also bought the 5mm stitch plate for the 9mm machines, I may see if that will also work with the 34
Old 03-29-2022, 07:10 AM

Thank you, Quilted Sunshine! Looking at that foot right now. Only downside is I will have to thread the top thread through the foot opening each time I start a stitching session. Maybe I could file a narrow channel through the plastic?
Old 03-29-2022, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Thank you, Quilted Sunshine! Looking at that foot right now. Only downside is I will have to thread the top thread through the foot opening each time I start a stitching session. Maybe I could file a narrow channel through the plastic?
The 34D foot is the same foot as the 1D and is also the same as the 1C. The 1D doesn't have the side slit for the thread but can be used with the dual feed. The 1C does have the slit in the side for the thread pull but can't be used with the dual feed. Both the 1 C & D feet are metal. When I use the 34D feet, I will use a leader ender so I don't have to continually pull the thread throught the foot. I don't think I would try and make a slit in the plastic foot as that would likely weaken it?
Old 03-29-2022, 10:13 AM

You can buy a seam jumper to sew over thick seams. I got one with
my Janome. See the video.
https://madamsew.com/blogs/sewing-bl...his-magic-tool

Or you could improvise like Laura of SewVeryEasy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVoCX1oWwc