Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Pressing Mat >

Wool Pressing Mat

Wool Pressing Mat

Old 04-01-2022, 05:52 PM

Default Wool Pressing Mat

I want to purchase a wool pressing mat. I have read that some of them have a not so pleasant odor to them. I would appreciate if anyone could make recommendations for a wool mat with no odor and where to purchase? Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-02-2022, 01:25 AM

I bought a wool mat that I cut to cover my ironing board and then covered with a regular ironing board cover. It doesn't smell at all. It could be that the smaller mats pick up the plastic packaging smell and that they just need to be aired out?
Old 04-02-2022, 02:03 AM

I bought mine from a horse feed/tack store. Sounds strange but these wool mats are also used under horse saddles and come in larger sizes. They are new from the manufacturer (not used on a horse or in a barn) and have no odor. I have a quilters ironing board made by my husband, so I have to use two of them for the length. They have never given me a problem. Mine came from www.statelinetack.com and was under $30 each.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:06 AM

As long as you don't use steam, the wool won't stink. You can spray and use a dry iron however.
Also - don't cover the wool if possible because part of its function is to hold the fabric. If you just want the heat factor then you may cover it.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:44 PM

I bought mine from Quilt in a Day and I’ve never noticed any kind of odor. I don’t use steam but I do spritz my fabric with water. I think it’s maybe 17 x 14 not sure at all, I believe I paid under $24 for it.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:54 AM

I use Best Press all the time and no odor. I spray it away from the cutting and pressing area then put my piece down to be press. I have no odor at all.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
As long as you don't use steam, the wool won't stink. You can spray and use a dry iron however.
Also - don't cover the wool if possible because part of its function is to hold the fabric. If you just want the heat factor then you may cover it.
I've found that to be true. I use my wool mats for pressing blocks with a dry iron and there is no smell. I did use one to press something that I was steaming and, yes, it smelled. Just like a wet sheep.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:44 PM

I think I bought mine on Amazon, and I haven't noticed a weird smell to it yet.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:46 PM

I just wanted to say that mine don't smell either. I've made pillowcases for each one. That way when they get dirty I wash the pillowcase.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:20 PM

I also bought mine from Stateline Tack. It is a saddle pad, is about 1/2" thick, pure wool and is perfectly clean. I cut mine down the spine and placed it end to end and it covers my ironing board...all for under $30.00.
It so bugs me that as soon as you put the word "quilting" alongside something, the price goes up.

Here you go....$28.80 for 30" x 30". Check out the reviews...You'll find LOTS of quilters!
Wool pad

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 04-04-2022 at 01:22 PM.