Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions please?? >

Need opinions please??

Need opinions please??

Old 04-12-2022, 10:17 AM

Default Need opinions please??

I am making a quilt for my son and dil in purple and yellow (her choice). I decided to do a Jacob's Ladder after making a couple of other blocks and not liking them. I have now made about 15 blocks and realized I will run out of the yellow fabric. So I found the name and number on the selvedge and ordered more from Fat Quarter Shop. It arrived yesterday and it is NOT the same color. The blocks I already made are light yellow background with white polka dots. The new fabric is dark yellow with white polka dots. What do I do? Make the rest in the new color and mix the blocks throughout the quilt? I hate to start over but if that is the best option I guess that is what I will do. What do you think?
Old 04-12-2022, 10:31 AM

yes.....I would try mixing in the new fabric with blocks made of the old yellow. It actually may work out well depending on the pattern. It just might add a bit more movement and interest? Or you could try more controlled....a line with the old and a line of blocks with the new. Have fun! Play with it and different arrangements.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:13 AM

Yes I like sewingpup’s idea of doing alternate rows. Or maybe put the dark ones in the center surrounded by the others. Lay them out to find the layout you prefer
Old 04-12-2022, 11:23 AM

Oh yes, use that fabric too. This is your Covid time quilt, all things are forgiven.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

You can mix the colours up or see if you can find a purple and yellow plaid or floral to throw into the mix. Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2022, 11:44 AM

I call that controlled scrappy. Sometimes we have to adjust when things don't go as well as we'd like to.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:58 AM

Oh thank you!! I was hoping the majority wouldn't say start over. I really didn't want to do that. Purple and yellow already is out of my comfort zone (not a purple lover). So I will carry on and play with what I have and hopefully it turns out!
Old 04-13-2022, 02:52 AM

First, I would contact Fat Quarter Shop. Let them know the fabric you were sent is not what you ordered, color wise. They may be able to help you out. The you can make a decision about to blend the two yellows or to wait for a replacement of the correct fabric color you wanted.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:44 AM

It is hard to order your existing fabric just by looking at the number on the selvage of the fabric. That number is the pattern only. The color number is an extension of that number which is usually only on the bolt. Next time you go to a fabric store, compare the numbers on the end of the bolt and the numbers on the selvage.
Glad you don't have to start over.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:52 AM

I guess I did not know that about the numbers. I thought if I had the number from the selvedge that would be sufficient. I will try contacting FQS and see what they say. Thank you! I learn something new every day.