Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fresh Eggs >

Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs

Old 04-13-2022, 04:10 AM

Default Fresh Eggs

Our chickens are laying almost 2 dozen eggs every day! We are scrambling them for the dogs, too! And experimenting with recipes that require lots of eggs. I made creme brulee yesterday from a recipe on FoodNetwork! I recently read a post about freezing the eggs...gonna try it. Any recipes out there for lots of eggs...
Old 04-13-2022, 04:45 AM

You can also water glass them. Check out youtube on that. Also we give several people eggs on a weekly basis. So many people are hurting and a simple carton of eggs just may be the blessing they need to carry them. Currently we get about 8 eggs a day. Are you fermenting their feed? It's healthier for the chickens and makes the feed go considerably further.
One of our favorite ways to use up eggs is a quiche! Have you made them? Please let me know if you want a simple recipe. I can PM you for that
Have a beautiful day.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:09 AM

Make lots of Impossible pies in a blender. The recipe calls for 4 but I always use 5. It's sort of like a custard.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Pound cake and Angel food cake. One takes the yolks and the other the whites. I hope your birds are safe from the Avian flu!
Old 04-13-2022, 10:36 AM

I've been freezing eggs in silicon muffin cups and then popping them out and transferring them to freezer bags for some time now. I break the yolks before freezing because when I didn't they seemed to almost be cooked when thawed (just the top of the yolks). I checked egg prices here in my small home town yesterday and they are going for $3+/doz.depending on the grade. Thank God my daughter's hens are laying a lot. Frozen eggs can be used for scrambled, omelettes and any baking recipe.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:50 PM

Mother had chickens on the farm and every time I visited, she had 3 or 4 dozen eggs ready for me to take home. The honest truth: I didn’t buy eggs for the first 40 years of our married life.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

How can you eat so many eggs without your cholesterol building up? I hope you get it checked periodically.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

FYI: in case you can't get fresh eggs, I was told by a Walmart buyer that Walmart has contracted Egglands Best Cage Free Brown eggs for their Market Place eggs. Cage free isn't much better then caged to a chicken. Free Range is the most freedom allowed to laying chickens and doesn't mean much more unless from a small independent egg seller.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
How can you eat so many eggs without your cholesterol building up? I hope you get it checked periodically.
It's actually not the cholesterol in food that affects your blood cholesterol, so much as the saturated fat. I eat very little meat so I feel OK about eating an egg or two every other day. Quote from Mayo Clinic - "Most healthy people can eat up to seven eggs a week without increasing their risk of heart disease. Some studies have shown that this level of egg consumption might even help prevent certain types of stroke and a serious eye condition called macular degeneration that can lead to blindness"

I also get fresh eggs from my landlord's chickens - he is up to 6 hens now and his family doesn't eat that many, so I have plenty.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:43 AM

When I had hens and the eggs got a head of me I would make pickled eggs.