Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting a new iron! >

Getting a new iron!

Getting a new iron!

Old 04-17-2022, 12:45 PM

Talking Getting a new iron!

My old dry iron finally ironed its last. I liked it for the most part, but was finding that when I ironed, it really couldn't get the folds out of fabric. It would iron them out, but by the time the fabric cooled off, the fold line was showing again. It just wasn't getting hot enough anymore so I had been thinking about looking for another one.

Then, today, I was sitting at my sewing machine today and noticed a weird shadow my iron was projecting from the sun hitting it. In picking it up, I noticed that the metal below the sole plate was sticking up (probably happened when the leg of my old ironing board collapsed and it all crashed to the floor a few weeks ago). Thankfully it didn't start a fire or shock me or worse, as I have used it quite a bit since it fell.

So, today it was shopping day for a new iron. I looked at dry irons, cordless irons and steam irons. I finally decided to go with steam and I'm getting the Rowenta Pro Master. I've been reading multi forums and it seems that a lot of quilters use the Rowenta brand of irons.

I would love to hear from other Rowenta users on how you like yours and any pointers.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:33 PM

I have 2 Rowenta's that I use. One I have never put water in and one I use as a steam iron. It does spit water at times.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Sorry to share a negative review, but I had a Rowenta that I liked very much, until it quit working while still under warranty. Then I had a terrible experience getting it fixed (by the only company on the west coast authorized to fix Rowentas under warranty). I eventually got the iron back, but it quit working again soon after, and I'll never buy another Rowenta. I hope you have better luck with yours.
Old 04-17-2022, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

I don't put much thought in a new iron, they are all mostly alike. Right now the the best steam iron I have used is the Reliable Maven125s steam generated iron. It's about three years old and still works like new. Remember the higher the wattage the hotter the iron.
Old 04-17-2022, 04:52 PM

I just bought a Rowenta yesterday. so far I like it!
Old 04-17-2022, 04:54 PM

I had a Rowenta for years until it stopped working. but i've heard many quilters say theirs caught fire. Mine never did, so...
Now i have a dry iron i got from Vermont Country Store. $50.00. can't think of the name but they only sell that one. I like it a lot.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:01 PM

I used to buy Rowentas all the time, but about 10 years ago they started to leak and spit, no matter what the price, so I quit buying them. About a year ago I purchsed a Hamilton Beach model 14212 from WalMart that I really like. It was less than $20 and works better than any of the Rowentas that I'd used for years. I like the retractable cord, steam or dry option, the large capacity water tank, and it does not shut off automatically. If or when it dies, I'll buy another to replace it, but after my experience, I would never recommend a Rowenta to anyone. Hopefully you can return yours or cancel your your order. Good luck.

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 04-17-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:29 PM

I had an old Rowenta that I loved, and it lasted for years. Then I got two other Rowenta's that stopped working in less than a year. Then I tried a bunch of the cheaper brands and none of them really got hot enough..then I heard that Rowenta had gotten a lot of complaints about their irons and moved the production back to Germany from overseas (China? can't remember) Anyway, this most recent iron has lasted over two years and still gets hot. However, it did have one spitting episode so I just decided to not use water in it anymore and just use a spray bottle of water and best press when needed. The one I have now states "made in Germany" on it. The ones on the shelf in the local stores did not say that. So I ordered it online and it was one of the higher priced Rowenta's. Oh, true disclosure. As I always think I am going to sew each and every day, I never emptied that water out of my iron at the end of the day. The instructions do say to use tap water and empty it when done.

Last edited by sewingpup; 04-17-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:54 PM

I was waiting for other reviews because my Rowenta leaked. Just when you were about through ironing your garment, it decided to leak or spit and of course then, if you ironed it dry, it showed a spot so you couldn't wear it. Then it did more than spit, really poured out. I did get mine from another lady that passed on, so mine was used when I got it. Turned me off of a their brand anyway and I didn't pay a high price for my lesson.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:14 PM

I have a Rowenta I inherited from my mother 5 years ago. She had it for many years before that. I never put water in it, using a spray bottle if necessary to moisten fabric, and the iron does a great job. Love it!