Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 04-18-2022, 03:19 AM

Emilias- Cutting out each clue is no easy task, congratulations, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Joesmom- I love your colors, so soft and pretty! I can’t see any rogue blocks in the sashing, it’s beautiful can’t wait to see the finished quilt.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:29 AM

I think I have to re-do my geese; they are too big and too bright and overshadow the quilt center (I'm doing 4x5 rather than 5x6. I probably should have waited to make them until my top was together).
Old 04-21-2022, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I think I have to re-do my geese; they are too big and too bright and overshadow the quilt center (I'm doing 4x5 rather than 5x6. I probably should have waited to make them until my top was together).
Care to share a photo? I must admit that the border on RT has me stumped, but the border suggested by BH is (at least mentally) growing on me. When I see it on completed quilts, I really like it.

I just finished the flimsie of Laundry Basket Quilts Mystery 2000 in my “I stand for Ukraine” colors. I ended up making it 2/3 the size in Edyta’s pattern because I bought the wrong size ruler. Some of the pieces thus needed to be cut using a 1/3 inch measurement, which is never fun. And the finished size is a little odd at 46 x 46 inches.

My quilt does have a name: “Where have all the flowers gone?” The name was partially inspired by my light fabrics which are vintage 90’s I bought recently at a recycled fabric dealer. It was, of course, also inspired by Pete Seeger’s anti-war song. Seeger has said his song was inspired by an old Cossack folk song that Mikhail Sholokhov (whose father was Russian and whose mother was Ukrainian) included in his book, Quiet Flows the Don.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	639085  
Old 04-21-2022, 04:05 PM

This is just gorgeous, SuzSLO! I am so impressed with your mitered borders. That is fantastic.

Leslie
Old 04-21-2022, 04:47 PM

SuzSLO, thanks for sharing the photo and some background details of your laundry basket quilt! It is beautiful; was it difficult? I noticed Edyta was urging the marking of sewing points, which I've never done when machine piecing.

Here is the photo I took of my partial RT border. I had thought, while looking at postings on Bonnie's Facebook page, that the geese did not look proportional to smaller versions of the quilt, but I thought I would want at least a 4" border, so I went ahead anyway. It was when glancing at the small thumbnail version in my photo folder that it occurred to me that the geese were too prominent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7400_Fotor.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	639090  
Old 04-21-2022, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
SuzSLO, thanks for sharing the photo and some background details of your laundry basket quilt! It is beautiful; was it difficult? I noticed Edyta was urging the marking of sewing points, which I've never done when machine piecing.

Here is the photo I took of my partial RT border. I had thought, while looking at postings on Bonnie's Facebook page, that the geese did not look proportional to smaller versions of the quilt, but I thought I would want at least a 4" border, so I went ahead anyway. It was when glancing at the small thumbnail version in my photo folder that it occurred to me that the geese were too prominent.
I don’t think that the geese look out of proportion on your quilt, but again, I understand your feelings. Now that I’m finished with my LBQ mystery, I have no excuse but to go back to finding my own “perfect” border for RT.

On the LBQ mystery, I found that trying to mark the sewing points without a template or ruler with a drilled hole was a lot of effort for very little improvements in accuracy. I used my That Purple Thing to find that 1/4 inch and pinned a lot. This was my first time making kaleidoscope units and I really enjoyed it. I might try the LBQ Alaska quilt or one of its variations, but not before I finish RT!
Old 04-22-2022, 06:54 AM

SuzSLO - love your LBQ mystery quilt. I am almost done quilting mine. I was pretty heavy handed with washable markers so I’ll have to finish it and wash it before I post a photo. Are you doing her next mystery? I’m probably going to do that one as well (said the quilter who up to now said she would never do a mystery quilt).
Old 04-22-2022, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by woodland creature View Post
SuzSLO - love your LBQ mystery quilt. I am almost done quilting mine. I was pretty heavy handed with washable markers so I’ll have to finish it and wash it before I post a photo. Are you doing her next mystery? I’m probably going to do that one as well (said the quilter who up to now said she would never do a mystery quilt).
Wait. what? There is another LBQ mystery ready to roll?
Old 04-24-2022, 03:50 PM

SuzSLO - it’s supposed to start sometime around Mother’s Day. Fabric requirements haven’t been released yet, but in one of her videos she said something about it being scrappy.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by woodland creature View Post
SuzSLO - it’s supposed to start sometime around Mother’s Day. Fabric requirements haven’t been released yet, but in one of her videos she said something about it being scrappy.
Thanks for the info.

I did the one last Mother’s Day, which had 4” units. With that unit size, I was going to pass, but she sucks you in by starting with the easy stuff, like a 4 patch. I was also able to use many of the Accuquilt dies in my recently purchased 8” Qube, which was great.

I’m back to my RT border. I’m feeling the geese, but need to make a boatload more. Last geese I made were in early December. Luckily, I made some notes!