Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash Away Appliqué Sheets >

Wash Away Appliqué Sheets

Wash Away Appliqué Sheets

Old 04-23-2022, 04:13 PM

Default Wash Away Appliqué Sheets

It has been several years since I’ve needed to do turned edge appliqué. I used to use the fusible and water soluable Wash Away Appliqué Sheets so that I could leave the paper in place after sewing, instead of manually removing freezer paper. I drew the appliqué shapes directly on the appliqué paper and ironed this onto my fabric.

However, the appliqué sheets have gotten even more expensive! They are a great product, but I need to do a large number of appliqués.

Has anyone found a similar product that is more budget friendly?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-23-2022, 05:05 PM

Try freezer paper ( sold on rolls in tear off dispenser cartons at supermarket). Mark on dull side. Other side is shiny, this will temporarily stick to your fabric using a wool to cotton iron setting. It peels away easily and can be reused...but not left in.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:25 PM

I used to use freezer paper and a glue stick, but disliked needing to cut through the background after the piece was sewn in place to remove the freezer paper. I also found the freezer paper was not great for being reused. Especially where I have lots of the same shapes (other than circles), I recently switched to using Karen Kay Buckley’s template plastic and an iron with starch. She has videos showing her technique on her website. For circles, I really like my applipops.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I used to use freezer paper and a glue stick, but disliked needing to cut through the background after the piece was sewn in place to remove the freezer paper. I also found the freezer paper was not great for being reused. Especially where I have lots of the same shapes (other than circles),
I have found some sheets of freezer paper that I put through the printer/copier which seem to last in "stickiness" longer than the grocery store rolls. I have some shapes that have been used 10 times or more. I think it's "C Jenkins" paper but can't remember where I got it. I don't cut into the back of the shape to remove it, either. Instead, I sew around til there's about an inch of stitching left to do and gently pull it out. Works for me.

You could also try Lori Holt's method of stitching very light weight Pellon (right sides together), cutting a small slit, and turning it right side out. I don't seem to get sharp corners that way, but others tend to.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Sewing centers with embroidery machines usually carry Sulky wash away fusible on rolls. You can get the rolls at a more economical cost. You can probably find them at Joanne’s, hobby lobby and online places too
Old 04-24-2022, 05:13 AM

https://www.wawak.com/Garment-Constr...12/#sku=INTF47
I got a good deal on machine needles from this place, so I searched it for you. 10 yards for under $15.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I got a good deal on machine needles from this place, so I searched it for you. 10 yards for under $15.
Thanks for this great lead!
Old 04-24-2022, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

You can probably find the brand that you like to use cheaper in a bulk buy. I doubt you can find the quality in a cheaper brand. I have learned to stick with what does the job I want it to and that I like using.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post

I don't think this product is fusible if that is needed I use Steam A Seam lite for all my applique. Over heating with iron does not dissolve the adhesive.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-24-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:20 AM

So many different product ideas I had never thought of for appliqué! Thanks for all the recommendations!