Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How persnickety are you - when it  comes to sewing/quilting? >

How persnickety are you - when it comes to sewing/quilting?

How persnickety are you - when it comes to sewing/quilting?

Old 04-24-2022, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Default How persnickety are you - when it comes to sewing/quilting?

And about what?

Quality of fabric - brand is not important - but how it feels , thread count, and how it washes up is

Grain lines - I have learned to check to see if they are "straight" before buying. If the design is printed off-grain, no amount of tugging or blocking is going to get the design "straight".

Being aware of the print of the fabric. My SIL wanted me to make a dress for her - and she bought exactly amount of fabric shown on the back of the fabric - and the repeats were big and the design was splotchy. I was tempted to put the big yellow flowers right on her boobs and crotch area, but I did try to scatter them "gracefully" . Some prints (on garments, anyway) do not "scatter gracefully"! (I have been entertained by those placements, though.)

Anything that you are "fussy" about?
Old 04-24-2022, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I will not waste my time sewing with poor quality fabric or thread.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:53 PM

I'm not too fussy about the print being on grain or not. I can either cut with the print, or square-up from the fold. Unless it's a panel, it doesn't really matter. And I've found that I can mostly cut a panel by the print, and when I sew it in, it usually straightens out just fine.

I do want to use quality fabric and thread!

I am persnickety about removing threads when I un-pick, and about trimming thread ends as I sew. I'm also persnickety about pressing seams as I go.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:48 PM

I"m pretty much like Annette. I like quality fabric that (hopefully doesn't fray too much) and good thread that makes me and my machine happy. I'm more picky about grain when I'm making garments. With quilts I've found it's not as important.

Placement is a big deal with garments. I once followed a lady down the street and was very amused. She was wearing a dress with large red flowers on it. Two of them were placed right on her rear end and "walked" when she did. I've learned to watch for that when I'm sewing and to always check the rear view when I buy stuff.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:12 PM

For me it is the quality of the fabric. I can't stand fabric that feels like a limp, cheap bedsheet already on its way out the door.

I want fabric that is 100% cotton that is good quality and feels like it is going to stand up to years of use and washing.

I'm still on the fence about digital printed fabric as well. So far, what I've seen, feels more like nylon or plastic, instead of the good 100% cotton feel, even if it does say it is cotton. So I stay away from it.

Last edited by berrynice; 04-24-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:21 PM

Yep, quality fabric. The best I can afford, because I want to make a durable quilt. I also measure completed units carefully and trim each to the correct size. I've learned by trial and error through the years that if I'm careless about unit size, the quilt won't lie flat. I also will no longer use 100% polyester batting. I will use 80/20 but my preference is for 100% cotton. Back-in-the-day, I spent months hand quilting quilts where the polyester batting eventually bearded.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:03 AM
Banned

I’m not persnickety, I enjoy the process and the finished quilt and if it isn’t good enough for others, that’s their issue. After long years of hard work as a working single Mom, I am in the position of being able to afford high priced fabric, but that wasn’t the case when I started quilting 28 years ago. Those old quilts are now some of my most treasured, even though the fabric is sale bin JoAnn’s. Buy the best fabric you can afford, buy what you like, enjoy the process and the finished quilt. Remember where this all started — the calico that still had some wear left in it from the old dress or shirt that was no longer wearable, not to mention feedbacks filled with chicken feed!
Old 04-25-2022, 02:46 AM

I do not like the digital printed fabric. Like my fabric to feel good to my hands. If I can see light thru the weave of a fabric, it means the weave isn't tight enough and probably won't hold up in the long run. I want good old Made in America Cotton!
Old 04-25-2022, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePansies View Post
I’m not persnickety, I enjoy the process and the finished quilt and if it isn’t good enough for others, that’s their issue. After long years of hard work as a working single Mom, I am in the position of being able to afford high priced fabric, but that wasn’t the case when I started quilting 28 years ago. Those old quilts are now some of my most treasured, even though the fabric is sale bin JoAnn’s. Buy the best fabric you can afford, buy what you like, enjoy the process and the finished quilt. Remember where this all started — the calico that still had some wear left in it from the old dress or shirt that was no longer wearable, not to mention feedbacks filled with chicken feed!
Purple Pansies and I have a lot in common. I do try to use a high quality thread. I find it is less linty than lower quality thread and makes for fewer service calls which can be expensive.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:31 AM

Definitely good thread and for me that is Aurifill,