Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How persnickety are you - when it  comes to sewing/quilting? >

How persnickety are you - when it comes to sewing/quilting?

How persnickety are you - when it comes to sewing/quilting?

Old 04-25-2022, 04:55 AM

I don't even look in Sale Bin. I only buy fabric that I can't live without. When I buy online, I'll put 25+ choices in cart and whittle down to a reasonable $ amount. My time is the most valued part of the process. That said, there is at least one mistake in every quilt that probably only I will find. Oh, and my seams absolutely must match correctly.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:18 AM

I am becoming more and more persnickety about quality fabric. I accept an amazing amount of donated fabric from friends and found on our give away table at quilt group meetings. If the fabric is limp, to loosely woven I will pass on it. When I do have the opportunity to shop for my own choices of fabric, I look closely for texture and weave. Texture to me means it feels solid, but not necessarily stiff and the colors are clear across the whole width/length of the fabric. This is particularly true when I purchase wide back fabric.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:22 AM

I know this should be about fabric and thread but I am persnickety about my sewing space. I cannot work efficiently in a mess. That's not to say it doesn't get messy. But once it does, I have to clean everything up before I can start again.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:26 AM

I am not persnickety when it comes to anything. I just do my best with what I've got. I've basically been that way all my life on everything....sewing, quilting, cooking, gardening, etc.
The first quilt I ever made was back in 1965 from fabrics that I had left over from dresses I had made while growing up. The fabric was not the greatest back then but it's still holding up great in the quilt. The quilt is falling apart but that's because I never knew about 1/4" seams or construction techniques. It was hand pieced & hand quilted & I knew nothing about making quilts back then.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I'm fussy about fabric and thread. I can't see spending all the time it takes to make a quilt and not use the best I can afford. My favorite brands are Moda and Riley Blake. I've never been disappointed. Their are others as well but it seems I buy these 2 the most. Most of my thread for everyday use is Aurifil.
One thing that bugs me a bit is all the gadgets they sell. I have many that I don't even remember to use so I'm being careful not to buy too many things that look great but get forgotten quickly in my sewing room. That may be just me though. I'm not into gadgets.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePansies View Post
I’m not persnickety, I enjoy the process and the finished quilt and if it isn’t good enough for others, that’s their issue. After long years of hard work as a working single Mom, I am in the position of being able to afford high priced fabric, but that wasn’t the case when I started quilting 28 years ago. Those old quilts are now some of my most treasured, even though the fabric is sale bin JoAnn’s. Buy the best fabric you can afford, buy what you like, enjoy the process and the finished quilt. Remember where this all started — the calico that still had some wear left in it from the old dress or shirt that was no longer wearable, not to mention feedbacks filled with chicken feed!
Totally agree-I too was a single mom of three kids and didn't know a thing about making quilts & often times it was thrift store finds that I used to make my quilts-I am very lucky that even the bags of thread I picked up at thrift stores is still holding up after almost 40 years. Yes my youngest still has one of the very first quilts I made-I look at it now with its different textures of fabric & just shake my head but she still cherishes it. I am self-taught but the more I learned the more picky I started getting to the point I wasn't enjoying the process anymore so I have taken my persnicketiness down a couple of notches lol
Old 04-25-2022, 08:08 AM

I buy everything on line, so cannot evaluate beforehand. But I've never had a problem with the quality of fabric.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I shop sale bins first. The fabric that was a must have now is usually in the sale bin a few months later. Same fabric. Thread manufacturing is all about the same now so any good quality brand is fine with me. I won't have a machine that is picky about thread anyway. I have a Bernina, Juki, Brother, and Singer. They all sew with whatever thread I use with no problem. I have won several first place ribbons, one Best in Show, and one Viewer's choice at our local quilt shows over the years so I'm confident in being the whatever works for me quilter.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:30 PM

I don’t want to use blended fabrics or very thin cottons. Other than that I will use what I have or can afford. I think back to my grandmothers day and what she used. Her quilts were utilitarian and lasted forever
Old 04-25-2022, 03:47 PM

I'm fussy. I buy quilt shop quality fabric, and good thread. When I got to the work of making a quilt, I want it to last a long time.