Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
digital fabric >

digital fabric

digital fabric

Old 04-27-2022, 03:27 AM

Default digital fabric

Recently I bought several yards on f digital printed fabric.
I am trying to post a picture of it and I am unable. I think it's beautiful and feels wonderful. I did ask the person at Jordan Fabrics about the process and it sounded good to me. Why don't others like it? Have any of you used it and what are your experiences?

Clothworks Flower Shop Y3299 36 Orange Digital Bouquets By The Yard

Clothworks

Collection - Flower Shop

Designer - Jim Ishikawa

Manufacturer - Clothworks

Fabric Type - 100% Cotton

Old 04-27-2022, 04:31 AM

The only digital fabric I've dealt with, felt like heavy windbreaker fabric. It stated that it was 100% cotton, but felt more like nylon. It even had a shine to it like nylon fabric. The digital printing did not go through to the back and I wondered how many washings it would take to find that the 'print' was washed out. This was on two separate yardages, from two different producers. I ended up tossing it in the trash even though they were both a few yards each.

I will never buy digital again. Do not like it at all.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:59 AM

I"ve never used digital fabric. In fact, I'm avoiding shopping for fabrics so I haven't even seen any in stores to know how it looks or feels but I'll be following this thread for info.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:15 AM

I was interested in your question, so I pulled up a blog from 2019 that talked about manufacturers moving from screen printing to digital printing of quilting cottons: https://whileshenaps.com/2019/03/how...on-market.html

The blog states that Michael Miller, QT Fabrics and Hoffman California are all doing a majority or all of their fabric by digital printing.

“For Hoffman, the cleaner printing process is also a priority. “Textile manufacturing is not good for our planet, and the digital printing process is by far the most eco-friendly form of textile printing that has come about,” Chisholm says. “We believe it is the right way to print and where textile manufacturing will go as a whole.” This cleaner process also means that digital printing can be done in the US, not just Korea and Japan where screen printing is currently done.

Apparently, digital printing cannot produce metallics or other textures, so if you see those effects, it was likely screen printed.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:54 AM

Gosh - digital fabric, really! I am glad I have the stash I have and will make do with it.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I love digital fabric. The colors are much brighter and sharper and the prints are beautiful. I ordered a layer cake of digital fabric prints from Missouri Star to see what they were like. The floral print was vivid and each detail of the floral print stood out. The quality digital fabric panels are amazing. At a local quilt show there was two panel quilts made from the same panel picture. One was so much brighter and vivid in detail then then other. That's when I saw the difference of digital printed from regular. Whenever there is a sale or daily deal of digital prints pre cuts from quality manufacturers I buy them.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I'm another fan of digitally printed fabrics. I suspect that the issues that others have had were with the fabric itself, not with the way the printing was done.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:55 AM

I wouldn't dislike them without trying them out, but I do wonder how well they blend in with the screen-printed ones.

I'd think that they would work well in precuts, since a lot of people like to use fabrics from a single line.

Another other issue is identification, so that quilters clearly know what they are ordering.

I would want to know about colorfastness as well, since screen prints do fade with washing. If the digital prints maintained their colors much longer, it could be a disaster after awhile if mixed with the others.

hugs,
charlotte

Last edited by charlottequilts; 04-27-2022 at 09:56 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-11-2022, 08:05 AM

Default Heirloom Quilting-will it last 100 years +

I don’t heirloom quilt; however, my primary concern on digitally printed quilt fabric relates to longevity.

I would be hesitant to use it in an heirloom type of quilt
Old 07-11-2022, 08:50 AM

Like berrynice, I don't like the texture of digital prints. The 3 pieces that I have came from different manufacturers and all feel like garden flag material. Yes, the colors are vibrant, but I will only be using them for grocery totes or pet pillows, and will not be buying any more. If this is all that will be available in the future, I am glad that I have a healthy stash.