Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanting to reproduce a Cherry Quilt made by Great Grandmother >

Wanting to reproduce a Cherry Quilt made by Great Grandmother

Wanting to reproduce a Cherry Quilt made by Great Grandmother

Old 04-28-2022, 12:53 PM

Smile Wanting to reproduce a Cherry Quilt made by Great Grandmother

I had a quilt on my bed when I was a child that my Great Grandmother had made. It was the size of a bedspread (hung almost to the floor) that I had on a full size bed. I would really like to make one like it, only making it queen size bedspread length, however I can't picture the entire quilt as a whole, but I remember snap shots of it in my minds eye (if that makes sense). I don't know if it was from a pattern or if she had just made it up herself. She made quite a lot of quilts, but unfortunately, when we moved as a child, my mother sold all of the quilts to lessen our moving load.

Any how, as much as I would have loved to have some of her quilts, they are long gone, but I would really like to reproduce this one.

It was an all white background, both the front and the back of the quilt. It was a applique quilt with cherries on it and it had a scalloped edging/border. The only colors on the quilt were the red of the cherries, the red binding, and the black stems on the cherries, with green leaves and slightly curling vines.

The part I remember the most was that on the scalloped corners, there were 3 cherries with stems and leaves so that when the bed was made, they hung down like a pleat on the corners of the bed.

In the center, I'm remembering that there was a circle of cherries with leaves connected with a vine of green between the bunches, inside the circle there were 4 or 5 separate bunches of cherries with stems and leaves and outside of that center scattered around were smaller bunches of cherries with stems and leaves.

There was a lot of white space all over the quilt so it wasn't over loaded with cherries etc. Everything on the quilt was applique on a white background and all of the applique was solid red or grass green or black (stems), none of the fabric had any designs on them, just solid color.

Also, around the scalloped edging, on each scallop there was a small bunch of 3 cherries with leaves and stems and between each completely around the scallops the cherries were connected with a 'vine' of green.

It was quilted with lines spreading out from the center circle like beams. I don't remember how the center was quilted. All of the appliques were quilted around their edges as well and the 'lines' of quilting didn't go over the appliques just to their edges and then started again.

Does this ring a bell with anyone.

Last edited by berrynice; 04-28-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:04 PM

I googledappliqued cherry quilt pattern and came up with this pinterest page.

https://www.google.com/search?q=appl...fRW4vHhoNl-KnM

The large one on the right sounds similar to your description but there's no working link to show the rest of the quilt.
Good luck in your search.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:14 PM

This is very similar, the difference would be a circular center and all of the vines if I remember correctly were probably a good 1/2" wide, the cherry sets were different sizes on the quilt (as in the center cherries were the same size, the scattered cherries on the open part of the quilt were smaller as were the bunches in the scallops except the corners, and the corner cherry bunch were large, like 4 - 6" or more and the edges of the quilt were scalloped.

Thank you for finding this, it helps picturing it better.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

It looks like it could be one of the old Mountain Mist quilt batt patterns. I don’t know if they have an archive.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:32 PM
MCH

If Mountain Mist has an archive, it probably would be helpful to search a date range, i.e. 1-5 years from the date that your Mom sold the quilts when you moved. If that doesn't work, then perhaps try search 5 (?) years on either side of the year you were born. Or go with the search the archive for the year you first remember the quilt. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:37 PM

happened on this one https://www.internationalquiltmuseum...lt/20100140002
and https://www.internationalquiltmuseum...lt/20150630012
Old 04-28-2022, 04:10 PM

Here is a pattern from 1990: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1119882...search_click=1

I have a feeling that this was inspired by a quilt kit/pattern made in the 1930s- 1950s.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:43 PM

The quilt was probably made in the early 1930's by my Mother's Great Grandmother. I was mistaken to say she was my Great Grandmother. She was my Great-Great Grandmother! Sorry 'bout that.

The one SuzSLO mentioned, to compare the center, the vines connecting the cherry bunches was curvy/wavy between the bunches and the cherries in the center of the circle were grouped more in the center of the circle, randomly.

Was Mountain Mist batting around at that time? I'm wondering if she got the pattern from a magazine or even an ad in the local newspaper? I so wish I had a picture of it!

Last edited by berrynice; 04-28-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:11 PM

If she had a pattern, and I'd say that's a big if, it was probably from a newspaper or magazine. In those days, women didn't use patterns that often. An appliqued cherry quilt was probably made my making the applique shapes and putting them in a pleasing pattern. Women were very creative in those days. They didn't have the resources we do so they had to be.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:53 AM

I was guessing the opposite from cashs mom: that it was made using a kit. A number of kits were available during that time, many with appliqué and many with the scalloped edge that the OP remembers. The problem is that there may be no record of many of those kits. When scholars started looking at quilt designs, kits were seen as ubiquitous and put down as not requiring creativity. As a result, many were not chronicled as part of any of the projects to record existing quilts and patterns.

OP may be lucky enough to stumble on to what she is looking for, but more likely will need to create her own pleasing design that she can say is inspired by her ancestor’s quilt.