Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 590 >

Bernina 590

Bernina 590

Old 04-28-2022, 01:38 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Bernina 590

I am probably going to purchase this machine next week. Does anyone have any warning or advice? I mostly do piecing but I would like to be able to do more embroidery than I can easily do on my 440 QE.
TIA
Terry
Old 04-28-2022, 07:55 PM

I have it and LOVE it! The only thing is, with the wider feed dogs, the best way to get your 1/4" seam allowance, is to use a #34D foot. The 1/4" feet (#37C or D, #57C or D, #97C or D) don't work on the wider feed dogs because the fabric doesn't engage with the right feed dog. So, you bump the needle position to the right 3 bumps, and feed your fabric along the outside edge of the right feed dog. You can try it with your #1C or D presser foot, which is the same as the #34C or D presser foot. But the 34D foot is clear, so you can see the edge of the fabric through it. The D just means you can use the Dual Feed with it.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:31 AM

I have the 590 and I am loving it. Except for piecing! Yikes! Anyway, I am finally figuring out how to piece on it but in all honesty my recommendation would be to get the 590 but DO NOT trade in your 440! I had a 630 that I traded in and I have since bought at Bernina red machine to replace it the 630 and I have actually pieced my half square triangle blocks on this little machine, I have finally figured out how to piece them on my 590 but it does involve getting the right stitch plate on (single hole or optional 5mm plate if you opt to use the 1 foot), the right foot, using the knee lift, turning off the "hover" function if you have it on and whatever else you want to do. On my little red machine or on your 440, you can just sit down and basically go! However, the 590 is so wonderful in all the other ways, I love all the stitching and all the ways that you can set up the machine to do what you want it to do...If you want a knot at the beginning and end you can do that, if you just want it to 5-6 tiny stitches to start or ty-off you can set that up, ect! I have not done much embroidery on it yet, but what I have done was wonderful and again so many options you can do on the screen without additional software. I would not get the additional software as it is pricey unless you know already you really want to do a lot of fancy editing and stitch creation. I can on the 590 take the stitches that are already on the sewing side and bring them over to the embroidery side and even set the up to use as a background stitch. Oh my, now I would absolutely recommend taking every class you can when you first get your machine. Again, this machine was designed for advanced sewers who know what they want, and it does definitely have a learning curve as you learn all the things this beast can do. There are other Bernina machines that also do embroidery like the 535 which has a 5mm feed dog. I have not tried that model. I had a 570 prior to my 590 which I had problems with I truly think it was a lemon, I traded up for the 590 and am so glad I did. I have had other Bernina's prior to the 570 and almost considered changing brands after the problems I had with it but am glad I got the 590
Old 04-29-2022, 06:11 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Thanks for the input , Ladies. Now I am rethinking my trade-in. They will give me $400 for it and I don’t know if they will increase that amount if I include the embroidery modual and extras.
I do A LOT of piecing so would want whatever is necessary to accomplish that. However to be honest, I have and USE 3 featherweight for most of my piecing.
I wasn’t aware of needing software to embroider . I thought I could just download designs onto a stick and go. Am I wrong?
Old 04-29-2022, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I have the 770QE which is a lot like the 590 but has a larger harp. I wanted it for FMQ and it's great for that. I didn't want the embroidery module but if I change my mind I can add it. My FMQ has gotten a lot better. I love this machine.
Piecing is also good on this one. Yes, I use my FW sometimes but the Bernina has so many features that make piecing a breeze.
And the large bobbin is awesome.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
Thanks for the input , Ladies. Now I am rethinking my trade-in. They will give me $400 for it and I don’t know if they will increase that amount if I include the embroidery modual and extras.
I do A LOT of piecing so would want whatever is necessary to accomplish that. However to be honest, I have and USE 3 featherweight for most of my piecing.
I wasn’t aware of needing software to embroider . I thought I could just download designs onto a stick and go. Am I wrong?
Most of the time, for the embroidery I do, I just use ready made embroidery designs. Yes, you just use a usb stick (try to keep it a smaller size Ideally 1 G or less) If it is too large, the machine will look everywhere for the designs and it takes longer to load, at least that is what I have been told, I just got some 1 G sticks. The type of things you can do on the machine are to rotate the designs, resize them 20 % up or down, add letters to your design, add another design, multiple your designs, change it into endless embroidery, convert the thread colors to the brand you have (as long as it is one of the common ones in the thread conversion list). And a bit more, so I haven't bought the stand alone program that is for if you actually want to program your own unique designs. That is why I suggested not to get the stand alone embroidery program as you may find you do not need it. Also for your information, I got the red machine on sale for a good price and the asking price was $1000. The 440 you have has more features than my Red machine which is basically a 215 which I don't think they make anymore. I only got $500 for my 630 which was less than what I paid for the red machine. If your 440 is working fine, I really would keep it for a piecing machine that does more than the featherweights. Oh, also good for a class or workshop machine as the 590 is a bit heavy to luge around although not as bad as the 7 or 8 series.

Last edited by sewingpup; 04-29-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:26 AM

I believe that there is a Model 535 which has the 5.5mm feed dogs and may be a better choice if you will be piecing on it. It may only be available by special order.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:57 PM

OK, I am a happy camper, yesterday I purchased a 97 foot although I already had the 97D foot (used with the dual feed). anyway, I just tried piecing my half square triangles with it cut with my accuquilt and it works great! Yahhh! No more flipping over the end of the triangles when starting them. I did use the knee lift to position my triangle ends right next to the needle before stitching.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:26 PM

I went from the 440QE to the 590 also two years ago. It is a learning curve because it does sew differently for piecing than the 440QE but I love it now. The lighting is better, love the thread cutter, etc. Keep your walking foot. The dual works but not as good as a walking foot. I had to use the walking foot sewing binding on a quilt with bias edges. It worked for other binding through. If possible, I would hang on to the 440QE. I kept mine and right now my BF is using it. If I spend more time at the cottage this summer, I'll take the 440 up.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
OK, I am a happy camper, yesterday I purchased a 97 foot although I already had the 97D foot (used with the dual feed). anyway, I just tried piecing my half square triangles with it cut with my accuquilt and it works great! Yahhh! No more flipping over the end of the triangles when starting them. I did use the knee lift to position my triangle ends right next to the needle before stitching.
Why do you think the 97 worked differently from the 97D? Did you use the dual feed with the 97?