Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you replace your Ironing Board Cover? >

How often do you replace your Ironing Board Cover?

How often do you replace your Ironing Board Cover?

Old 05-01-2022, 02:07 AM

Question How often do you replace your Ironing Board Cover?

I love an ironing board cover with a pretty design. I don't have room to leave my ironing board up in my small sewing space, so it hangs on a hook on the wall. I like to keep an extra cover on hand for when the day comes that it needs replacing.

I change my cover when a stain won't wash out and becomes an eye sore. It makes me happy to see a pretty cover on my wall as well as when I am pressing.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:46 AM

Haven't used an ironing board in years now ... I do use the wool mats instead on thick plywood covered with cloth. But I do recall replacing the cover on the ironing board before getting this set up. So maybe every year so they don't get gunked up by starch?
Old 05-01-2022, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

When the mood strikes me. I’m using a big board now, over my ironing board and got some of that silver fabric to put over a couple layers of batting. It stays up mostly in my small sewing room. It doesn’t bother me. I can’t remember what the cover is on the ironing board underneath!
Old 05-01-2022, 04:18 AM

I do have room so leave it up all the time. I've now got the silver heat resistant fabric on mine so until it gets really nasty looking it will remain. I made up a board that's 24 x 48 to go over it so when I press large pieces of fabric, it doesn't take quite so long. I can still press a shirt or blouse, even a skirt and/or dress if needed without having to remove it. I have one of those narrow but long pressing pieces when I need to press sleeves. Also have what you call a "ham" for certain times when you need it.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:55 AM

Not nearly enough!!!

It is time now though after the reminder.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:09 AM

Well, I change mine when I can not stand it anymore! I have a small gallery kitchen and that is were I have my ironing board up. And it is up most of the time. I bought some of that "oil cloth" material at a local quilt shop, cut it down the middle so it just hangs about 4 inches over my ironing board and that is what it is covered with when I am not using it for ironing. As my kitchen is so small and I have limited counter top spaces, I use my iron as an extra working surface when cooking. It's working! I did buy a good wider ironing board that states it can support 150 pounds. It has a couple of wire racks on the bottom and I have a big tuperware bowl on one of them that I throw in my onions, sweet potatoe, and squash. I also use the rakes to hang dry things that should not go in the dryer. Yikes, I have been in a pandemic way too long in my little bubble.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:22 AM

Last time I needed a cover, I found out the hard way, there are all kinds of sizes of ironing boards, not just full size and table top. You need to measure your board.
My beef is with the very thin "foam" under the cover, it doesn't last. I put an old towel under the cover.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:25 AM

I have a big board "rack" (a large piece of covered plywood sitting on top of a set of wire drawers) and a small ironing board made from a tv table tray sitting next to my sewing machine. I have both covered with the silver ironing fabric stuff - and then I have a piece of white canvas that I lay on top. I use a LOT of starch so when the canvas gets full of starch and threads I just toss it into the wash. For me it's so much easier to wash the canvas than to recover my boards. I have to wash them every other week or so. I make a lot of quilts - about one a week. (I make samples for my local quilt shop.)
Old 05-01-2022, 06:12 AM

I have an old Mary Proctor ironing board which I love. Replacement covers are expensive so I keep mine on as long as possible. It's out of sight so I don't care if it isn't real pretty looking.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Here is a tip about ironing board covers. When you wash it put it on the board while still wet. It will dry tighter on the board and if the cover is form fitting it will be much easier to put back on the board while it is wet. We learned that in Home Ec class years ago. I'm surprised how many have never heard of this.