Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow...Surprise Offer to Upgrade Sewing Room! >

Wow...Surprise Offer to Upgrade Sewing Room!

Wow...Surprise Offer to Upgrade Sewing Room!

Old 05-01-2022, 04:42 PM

I say go for it! What a nice surprise!

Old 05-02-2022, 03:13 AM

Go for the master bedroom as your sewing room, my girlfriend and her hubby did that. They moved everything into the spare bedroom except one tall dresser that was practically empty. The only inconvenience I see is the huge walk in closet and beautiful master bath is in the master bedroom. She said it's no big deal for them to walk down the hall and use the shower and get dressed.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:20 AM

Wow! What a sweetheart!
Old 05-02-2022, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I have talked about doing this. You have a very understanding husband!
Old 05-02-2022, 05:48 AM

Wow, he is definitely a keeper! I have a quilting friend who did that and was very happy with it.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:04 AM

my nephew has suggested I move my longarm up from the basement into the living room! That is starting to sound like a good idea, except where would I put all the sewing stuff I actually have in my living room! I use an antique cedar hope chest as my coffee table and it is full of quilted things. I have another chest in front of the picture window for my plants and it is full off....wait for it....fabric and UFO's, The bookcases on either side of the fireplace are full of longarm thread. I actually need to build another house so I can move my bed out of this quilting studio!
Old 05-02-2022, 07:11 AM

I have two rooms on one side of my 5 1/2 foot hallway. One is larger than the other and the smaller was built for my sewing room, no closet ( what was I thinking) At the time of the build, 16 years ago, I was into quilting. I sewed baby heirloom sewing mostly and embroidered, so I had 3 machines, a regular sewing machine, embroidery machine and serger. With all the supplies added and then the actual cutting out process, just working on a project, and making my first two Queen quilts, I soon outgrew the small room. So.. we switched the guest room with a closet to my new and bigger sewing room. It made my ‘new’ guest room tight for getting into bed. I have a queen size bed and a long dresser only but it works because it’s usually a grandchild spending the night and TV is wall mounted.
However since I started quilting, I find the larger room is getting too small-lol One brother-in-law suggested we could knock the wall out between the town rooms!-lol I don’t think my husband thought this was funny. I told BIL that I couldn’t do that, because not only would I lose the closet, our a/c unit is between the rooms!
I did tell hubby we could buy a big shed and finish the inside….and then move all the living room furniture, TV and him outside! I’d get a frame to go with my long arm and put it in the living room!- lol
It does make more sense to use your bigger room for quilting so if he is agreeable, go for it!
Old 05-02-2022, 07:54 AM

That's amazing Watson! And I thought it was good when we moved in this house and my husband said "Why don't you take the two front bedrooms upstairs for your sewing?" Yours beats that!
Old 05-02-2022, 09:59 AM

Five * * * * * Plan . The other ideas using Living Room and or another spacious room
Old 05-03-2022, 03:47 AM

My sewing room is next to the room we use for an office, it's twice the size of my room, and they separate by a set of pocket doors. My husband has offered to change spaces with me, but it also would mean that my computer desk, file hutch, and a couch would stay put. This doesn't leave me with much room. If I could convenience him to get rid of the 1970 something couch it might be doable, but he says it's still useful so why trash it? I'd rather add onto my sewing room for more space, but that would ruin the roofline he says. Seems like I'll be staying in my small, little crowded room.