Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you replace your Ironing Board Cover? >

How often do you replace your Ironing Board Cover?

How often do you replace your Ironing Board Cover?

Old 05-01-2022, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I iron a large piece of freezer paper to my clean ironing surface. When the paper gets dirty, I peel it off and iron on a new piece.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I bought an Ikea piece with drawers and cupboards and put a big ironing board cover on it. Just the other day I thought that I should have a backup as I may forget where I bought it. It's larger than a standard ironing board cover. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 05-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Banned

I change it when it looks too gross. I don’t have an ironing board in my sewing room. I use a workbench from Harbor Freight that I use as a big board. I have an old June Tailor padded ironing pad and then I cover that with a twin flat sheet.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:14 AM

I, too, have a Proctor ironing board that I love. I learned many years ago to make a covering out of CANVAS. It stays cleaner longer, doesn't scorch and lasts forever. When I do have to wash my cover, I put it back on while slightly damp and when it dries, it fits nice and snug. If you do decide to make a cover out of canvas, try to find the type of canvas that upholstering people use. It is a better and tighter quality.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:34 AM

I change it when I get totally sick and tired of it! My ironing board is 50 years old, heavy, metal, clunky and the drop edge is almost 3". But it is really sturdy. It used to collapse, but it refuses to slide anymore, so it stays up all the time. Unfortunately, because of that, it has to now stay in the basement. Upside is I get my exercise running up and down the steps to iron the bigger pieces. Because of its size, I've never found a replacement that will fit, so I make them. I too put it back on when damp for a nice tight fit.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:57 AM

Not often enough, I'm sure. I use a plain one. Buy them at Joann's pretty cheap. I wash as needed and replace as needed. No idea but not less than a few years for each one.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:29 PM

I still have my original cover. I just cover the cover with large pieces of flannel, which I wash when they get dirty. They aren't fitted, but they stay in place. If I'm pressing a long piece of yardage, I remove the flannel.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:28 AM

Default Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Here is a tip about ironing board covers. When you wash it put it on the board while still wet. It will dry tighter on the board and if the cover is form fitting it will be much easier to put back on the board while it is wet. We learned that in Home Ec class years ago. I'm surprised how many have never heard of this.
I must admit that I am another one that have not heard about placing the ironing board cover back on the stand while still wet.
I love a tight cover and if I find a crease or lump, I iron it flat! Thank you!
Old 05-04-2022, 09:27 AM

I'm with SewGood and have a board built to cover my ironing board. It's 18x49" and I covered it with layers of batting, foil, and heavy smooth fabric (I don't know what it is, but it's from the upholstery department). Everything is stapled to the back, so there's no washing or changing but I can wipe it down and it's held up for years. My husband fastened strips of wood to the back so it "holds on" to the ironing board. I love the ease of pressing yardage on it. My only complaint is that some of my iron cord is rusty red as it has picked up colour from rubbing against the board. I think I'll take a page from SewGood and look for a ham just in case I want to iron clothing.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:01 AM

I make my own covers so if I get tired of looking at it I change it or if I find a fabric that I absolutely love and want it on my ironing board then it gets a facelift. Mine is up all the time so I like it to be something I’m happy to look at.