Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designing Your Dream Sewing Room... >

Designing Your Dream Sewing Room...

Designing Your Dream Sewing Room...

Old 05-06-2022, 07:35 AM

Oh I love to dream! In order but not in order of necissity (sp)...
  • Windows on two sides that are adjecent.
  • First floor room...no stairs to climb
  • Cam lighting in ceiling...must have natural ldaylight!
  • NO PLASTIC TUBS OF FABRIC...so must have adequate storage. Shelves, drawers in cutting island. Drawers will lhave labels.
  • Closets to hang finished tops and charity quilts ready to be delivered.
  • Separate desk for printer, computer. and storage for papper and ink.
  • NO CARPETING
  • Quilt friendly ironing station.
  • Small kitchen area for coffee, soda, and snacks...or just enlarge the bathroom?
  • Special place for pet.
  • Where do I put my little TV?
  • Two design walls. One close to sewing area.
  • Special area to hang quilts that are MINE not go give away.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:20 AM
mkc

Separate electrical circuits for iron vs machines

Work triangles - cutting-sewing-pressing. Don't create a "barrier island" by putting your cutting table in the path from machine to pressing station. Look at traffic patterns.

Agree with getting the lighting designed. We did our own using Visual-3D and modeled the exact fixtures and bulbs. We used surface-mount LED "wafer" lights so as not to breach the attic insulation value (can lights are awful in that aspect). Get 90+ CRI lighting or colors will look weird (if the bulb doesn't explicitly state 90+ CRI, assume it's 80). Watch out for light placement so it's not behind where you would be at any workstation so you don't cast a shadow on what you're doing.

Don't block HVAC vents or returns

Design storage so you can see items easily but have them protected against dust accumulation.

Consider something like Home Designer Suite (we used the higher level Home Designer Pro in laying out our entire home and workshop) to test layouts, cabinet/table sizes, and do virtual 3D walk throughs to make sure the space "feels" good. There are lots of models out there you can download for cabinetry, furniture, even longarms.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
Here's an interesting video "Organize Your Sewing Space - Part 1" from Just Get it Done Quilts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPFW-9lpdA I especially liked the sewing triangle, similar to the kitchen triangle. This helped me when setting up my room.
Thanks for that link! I found her videos to be helpful. My sewing triangle got more complicated when I realized that the lighting was much better when I stood on the far side of my ironing board because otherwise the overhead light creates shadows. So I need to think about upgrading my lighting so that it comes from the far side of the board.

If I had my dream quilting space, it might not matter, but in my space, I love my traditional (yes, the legs are harvest gold in color, which meant it was manufactured in the 1960s or seventies!) ironing board.

It is about 14” wide and for ironing, I use a 14 x 20 wool pad, with the iron and my starch and/or water bottle on the narrow end of the board. My cutting station is at the far end with a 14 x 14 cutting board. While the cutting board spins, I also can walk around the end and cut from any of 3 different sides.

And when I have projects that I need to do while sitting, I lower the height of my ironing board and roll up a chair! Instant craft table! I sometimes will iron freezer paper to the surface if I am doing something messy with glue or something similar. And when I want to clean up the room, or I need maximum floor space, the board (with pressing mat clipped to it) fits back into the closet, completely out of the way.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:51 PM

Plenty of lighting, and windows to see outside are a must for me. I would also like the ability to change the temperature of the lighting from "daylight" to what I call a "warm evening glow".

Multiple outlets, including floor, counter-height, and ceiling. Also - house/room must be able to handle power drains, such as irons. It aggravates me when I am using my iron, my son starts vacuuming at the other end of the house and the circuit breaker trips.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:27 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Also - house/room must be able to handle power drains, such as irons. It aggravates me when I am using my iron, my son starts vacuuming at the other end of the house and the circuit breaker trips.
Given location differences, those 2 items should NOT normally be on the same circuit. Have you had the wiring checked?
Old 05-06-2022, 04:23 PM

1. Lighting, lighting, lighting! Overhead recessed LED placed about 2.5’ to 3’ apart.
2. Full bathroom, and also a small kitchenette (apartment sized fridge with ice, minimal cabinetry for snacks, microwave)
3. Large central island (6’ by 8’?) with cutting area on one end, pressing in the middle, and recessed sewing machine on the other end. Storage underneath, including plenty of drawers for notions and hanging area for rulers and templates.
4. Fabric cabinetry (think IKEA Billy cabinets) with glass fronts down one long wall.
5. Longarm down the opposite long wall.
6. Siting area with sofa or recliner or futon, TV, small desk with computer.

I think this covers the majors.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Given location differences, those 2 items should NOT normally be on the same circuit. Have you had the wiring checked?
Short answer is yes. It's fine.
The long answer is this house was built in the 70's, when builders only expected homeowners to plug in a tv, stereo, and a couple of lamps in the living room. Now we have a stereo, gaming system, tv/projector, streaming media player, lamps, power recliners, wifi access point, not to mention that since we have 3 adults working full time from home, we have 2 desktop computers with 5 monitors, a laptop, and a full-size printer/copier machine.
I don't understand why the outlets in the bedroom are on the same circuit as the outlets in the living room; the living room is in the front of the house and the bedrooms are at the back, but they *are* all on the west side of the house. Maybe the builder assumed people wouldn't be drawing power in the living room and the bedrooms at the same time. It is what it is.

Last edited by Peckish; 05-06-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I am for being able to keep my fabrics "in the dark" while being stored to avoid/minimize fading.

But with being able to have "full access" when one wants to look at them.

It is fun to look at the colors and patterns - BUT light can do damage - especially on the exposed fold lines/edges.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am for being able to keep my fabrics "in the dark" while being stored to avoid/minimize fading.

It is fun to look at the colors and patterns - BUT light can do damage - especially on the exposed fold lines/edges.
Good point. Our old sewing room had traditional kitchen cabinets. We had to open them to view contents. Fabrics were stored by color and/or type. I just thought glass fronts would make it easier and more fun to view. I wonder if it matters what type of light they are exposed to. I know sunlight obviously can do damage. I believe fluorescent light can as well. What about LED? I will have to check with Dr. Google.

Also Watson asked about wall color. We are not beige people. Our old sewing room was a pale mint green. If we were building a dream space it would probably be a pale turquoise or a pale periwinkle color. I guess that would depend on how much wall was actually visible.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

Yes, this.
It's interesting and pretty to look at a craft room with shelf after shelf of exposed fabric.

But, I'm allergic to dust and needed to store my fabric where it wouldn't collect it. Plus I was worried as well about the sun fading the exposed fabric.

My woodworking husband suggested that he build me cabinets. He built me wall to wall cabinets, with shelves wide and deep enough to lay out flat 108" fabric (like it is folded on a bolt). Each cabinet is 6ft tall, with double doors and has 5 shelves (4 of the shelves are adjustable). They are made out of hardwood, so that there is no problem with the shelves holding the heavy weight of the fabric. I can easily put in/take out the fabric I'm looking for, and I can clearly see what I have on the shelves. I like that I don't have to worry about dust or light affecting the fabric.

Last edited by berrynice; 05-07-2022 at 09:11 AM.