Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Survey #2... >

Survey #2...

Survey #2...

Old 05-11-2022, 12:47 AM
Banned

No, I don’t. I like using kits, though.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:18 AM

No, I haven't joined a quilt a long to date. I always have too many works in progress to try one.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:57 AM

I did one through my guild, because I wanted to show support for the lady who created it. But, in general, it is not my thing.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:09 AM

I've been doing the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for several years now. It's not a real quilt along, but each person chooses his/her own project(s) using the color chosen each month.

I am currently doing a quilt along with Aby Dolinger (abyquilts.wordpress.com). Her instructions are incredibly clear.

I have also done a few Bonnie Hunter mysteries and am currently working on her "Unity" quilt with people in my local guild. I'm also working on the mystery based on Bonnie's Addicted to Scraps column in Quiltmaker. Those projects are extremely intense.

Guess I'm a sucker for quilt alongs even though I keep saying I'll never do one again!
Old 05-11-2022, 02:59 AM

I have done 3 Moda sew alongs. Only one got completed so far. Have blocks to finish on one and need to sew blocks finished together on 3rd. I enjoy because get to do new blocks that I haven't done before.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:17 AM

I have enjoyed participating in several quilt alongs but I only commit when I feel I can be dedicated to a project that I really like. I have done 4 BH mysteries, 3 or 4 New Year’s Day mysteries, Riley Blake “Meet the Makers” , Moda Blockheads and one recently with Sherri at A Quilting Life. Funny thing is I have gifted them all away….
Old 05-11-2022, 03:20 AM

I have started several. Emphasis on "started". I did one here on this site sever years ago that I was successful with, Kept up and finished the quilt.
1. Pat Sloan - often just save the patterns for future use
2. Moda - save the patterns I like.
3. Edyta Sitar- never got past the materials list - I am working from stash and not buying special tools and fabric.
4." MysteryTrain" here on the Quilting Board. I have done several of them. Loved the results, nice size and pieces not to small and " fussy.
5. "Harriett's Journey" here on the Quilting Board. started, finished and the quilt is hanging in my dining room.
6. Civil War Quilts - Alcott Sampler - blocks finished but now in the UFO bin
7. Sew along by Quilt Police on the Quilting Board. - sampler blocks using 2.5" squares. Directions came once a week as I recall. Yes, I saved them to use again.
8.Wedding Dress Blue - a very simple RWB scrap quilt.

Yes, I do them. Would I do another, Yes, possibly. I will only do one sew-along at a time. I am personally not interested in something with thousands of tiny pieces. The end results are stunning, but I choose to use my quilting time differently.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:45 AM

no i have never done that
Old 05-11-2022, 04:02 AM

Yes
I did my first one when LQS shut down. I was taking classes to learn techniques, so I know the teachers and owner and was able to follow their sessions. I could go back and review every session when I needed extra help, or call them with questions. I made a queen size medallion quilt that at times I wanted to quit. Both instructors and others who I knew in the class were very encouraging. I finished it and husband loves it for our room.

Now I am doing Patchwork and Prose through QuiltFolk. It is quite an education into quilting history, technique and literature. The sessions are two hours long and engaging. We are creating blocks that represent books...no patterns which is totally new to me. The leaders are charming and they have several guest segments each month. My blocks are mostly representing books my children loved and others that I live with. There is no "final project" just exploration into ways of looking at book cover designs and representing them in blocks.

So, yes I do and will "quilt along" if the leaders are my quilting friends or if something intrigues me.

Last edited by pbraun; 05-11-2022 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:39 AM

Yes, a few.
I tend to be a silent participant. QALs and Mysteries have improved my quilting abilities. I have been challenged with smaller blocks or more challenging patterns, working outside my comfort zone (I like to know the finished design so mysteries are hard), and enjoy the feeling of I'm not alone and if I am struggling then lots of advice and help. The downside is I have to be ready to commit the time for this project, risk not liking finished project, and the never ending risk of adding another thing to the UFO pile.

I have a lengthy bucket list, so I must have a very valid reason for participating. I do frequently collect the pattern and follow the progress of others, but don't make the quilt at that time.