Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting thread >

Hand quilting thread

Hand quilting thread

Old 06-08-2022, 07:05 PM

Default Hand quilting thread

I am getting ready to put together some heirloom quilt blocks made by my great-grandmother. I plan to hand quilt this project. In the past I've used Coats hand quilting thread and have been happy with it, but I'm interested in trying Superior Threads Treasure. Has anyone had experience with this product?
Old 06-09-2022, 12:21 AM

I haven't tried Superior Threads Treasure (never seen it for sale over here), but I do like YLI hand quilting thread :-)
Old 06-09-2022, 03:12 AM

I would say, make sure it is 100% cotton since the blocks are old.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:37 AM

Glad you asked the question as I have one as well. I'm not trying to hijack your thread (no pun intended, lol) but do have a similar question.

I'm in the process of hand quilting a baby quilt. I only noticed last night that for one of the elements, I've been using a silk thread vs a hand quilting thread. How did I not notice this?!? Do I need to rip out the silk thread and re-do with a hand quilting thread?? I've been hand quilting for years and have never done this before!
Old 06-09-2022, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm hand quilting an old top. I used to always use Coats & Clark but I bought Gutermann for this one and I love it! No twisting or knotting up. I haven't had to use thread conditioner at all. I like it a lot better.
NJ- sorry but I've never used silk thread. Maybe someone else can answer your question.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:49 AM

I have several spools of Treasure, but thus far, I have only used it for binding (it was closest to the color I needed). I would say it is very similar to Gutermann (which is the thread I have used for hand quilting), and would describe both of them as wiry. I've never tried Coats and Clark, so can't compare. I like the Gutermann for hand quilting, and assume I will like the Treasure as they are so similar in feel.

NJ Quilter, I would say do not take out your silk thread work! They say that silk thread is very strong, and on the Superior Threads site, it is considered suitable for quilting.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:02 AM

Apologies to Synnove for not answering your initial question. I've not used Treasure thread. I've used all kinds of other hand quilting thread - all mentioned above - as well as JoAnn's Americana brand thread. The Americana brand is a bit heavier than the others but if it's the right color, I'll use it and actually like it quite a bit.

Joe'smom - thanks for that encouragement! I know silk thread is particularly strong but it did not occur to me to check any thread sites for usages. Yippee! Back to quilting!
Old 06-09-2022, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
make sure it is 100% cotton since the blocks are old.
Why? What do old blocks and cotton thread do? I have not heard this advice before and am curious about it.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I silk more sensitive to heat than cotton?
Old 06-09-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Why? What do old blocks and cotton thread do? I have not heard this advice before and am curious about it.
I think what the previous poster is getting at is that if the blocks are old they are more likely to be 100% cotton so if you try quilting them with a poly cotton thread there is a risk the quilting thread would rip through the threads of the block over time