Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New washing machines >

New washing machines

New washing machines

Old 06-24-2022, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I bought a Maytag, not as same as the one it replaced I do like it I set it on deep water, and if I want more I just keep opening and closing the lid until water level is to my liking. It will add more water everytime I open lid. We no longer get our clothes real dirty, just body oil or sweat. I set it on quick wash and it is the shortest cycle. Clothes are always clean and smell good. It has an agitator I would not want without.

For whites with bleach I do the soak and takes more time. Whites really come out clean and white.

Always ways to out smart washers, etc.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

The water pump in my 1990-ish Maytag suds saver failed about a month ago. When it had a load of water and clothes in it. It has an agitator in it. It is a compatatively low tech machine, but seems to do the job for most of my laundry.

I - very fortunately - found a replacement part - with the same part number! - on ebay to replace it. The Maytag web site - not available - no longer made!

DH and DS fixed it. They did give me credit for "diagnosing" the problem.

The idea of having to shop for a new washing machine - or any other major appliance - is not appealing to me.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:34 PM

I refuse to buy a new washer! Even if I wanted one, I think my son would have a fit. He works in HVAC, but they are required to also take appliance repair. He despises working on the newer ones, and has repeatedly told me that he can keep my washer and dryer going forever. My washer is older than dirt, and has 4 water level/load sizes, and can wash for 3-15 minutes. It is a work horse, and is 30+ years old. My dryer is very similar, and he has worked on that also. He also collects parts for my machines, "just in case."
Old 06-24-2022, 05:59 PM

Another top load SQ laundry queen here.

I can adjust water levels, temperatures, and cycles at any point in the wash cycle. It has a true hot water wash. I don’t want someone else having a say in my laundry. LOL!
Old 06-24-2022, 07:49 PM

Another happy Speed Queen owner!
I had a front-loading Kenmore for 15 years. Boy was I happy when that thing finally died. My husband wanted to shop around but I'd spent 2 years doing research, talked to a lot of quilters AND hand-dyers, watched a lot of washing machine footage on YouTube. Did you know you can watch entire wash cycles of a whole bunch of different machines? 😆 I knew exactly which make and model I wanted. My husband kept nagging me, wanting to shop around. I finally asked him who did more laundry, me or him? Who was the quilter and needed to wash quilts and fabric? Ha ha! He said "Well, you do do ALL the laundry, so I guess if that's the machine you want, that's the machine we'll get."

I had to laugh when we went to the store. The salesman greeted me and showed me their "highest rated washing machine". I asked 'Highest rated, based on what?" He said based on energy savings, water savings, blah blah blah. I said absolutely not. I don't care about water savings, in fact I want a washer that will fill the tub all the way to the top. He then showed me the Speed Queens, which is what I wanted in the first place.

Last edited by Peckish; 06-24-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

I use the deep fill option on mine. it fills the washer full. The other selections go by sensing and the water level barely covers anything. I keep it on deep fill all the time. Mine is a top loader GE. It's not the best I have ever had but it has been working fine. I've noticed Speed Queen ratings have gone down the last several years. Many are very unhappy with the new ones needing repair a lot.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:15 AM

There were issues with SQs built in 2018. It's been very well documented in a lot of the consumer review sites. I made sure mine was made in 2019 and haven't had a single problem with it.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:24 AM

I have a Maytag and it too doesn't have much of a agitator. I was leary at first about how clean it would get my clothes but it does a very good job of cleaning. It does not use much water either. It is very good for washing a quilt as there isn't an agitator which can be hard on a quilt. You should use HE detergents to really clean the clothes. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:09 AM

My daughter has one of those low water machines. It is a pain. So I told her to fill a small tub of water and pour it in her machine. It works much better now. Ridiculous she has to do this.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:28 AM

When we moved 15 years ago, the purchaser of our old home wanted my old Maytag (sigh). So, I purchased a new GE at the time (a high efficiency low water model) and it is just OK. I get around the "low water" issue by choosing the "blanket" setting or "Pet Bedding" setting. It still allows me to open the lid (which I hear you can not do on the new ones). I so miss my old Maytag - It was straight forward - water levels, agitation and water temp - all controllable.