Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another pet peeve >

Another pet peeve

Another pet peeve

Old 06-27-2022, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
My pet peeve is fabric snobs....those who use ONLY, DEFINITELY and ABSOLUTELY 100% quilting cotton.
"Oh...you spend so much time on it...use only the best of everything to make it worth your time.."

They forget where and how and why quilts were made.

It seems people have taken the poor man's blanket and is now trying to make it into a rich man's prerogative.
The rich have always been able to afford the best....it is the poor who had to make do with bits and pieces to make something out of nothing.

And on the same note are those pin (only glass-head pins, you know)and machine snobs....

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢
From one RN to another- would you like tools and techniques used in healthcare so inferior to what is available today just because that's how it used to be?
I find your argument silly. Even when the poor were making quilts there were many who made magnificent quilts in those days, using the latest fabrics. Quiltmaking is very individual. So what if someone only likes 100% cotton? Not one of your criteria matter to me in the least. People have their preferences and choices and it's all good! The only thing that matters to me is if the quilters are enjoying what they're doing.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
From one RN to another- would you like tools and techniques used in healthcare so inferior to what is available today just because that's how it used to be?
This reminded me of all the arguments that arose when longarms started gaining in popularity, and people refused to call quilts that had been longarmed "quilts". I have a male family member who likes working with wood. He made a small table that sits in my mom's entryway. I made my mom a quilt (she loved) that had been quilted on my longarm. When she showed it off to him, he said that it wasn't a quilt because it had been done by machine. Only quilts that had been quilted by hand were *real* quilts, like his mama used to make. I'm sure you all can see where this is going. I told him his table wasn't a table because he'd used a table saw, a router, and a sander to make it. Why didn't he cut the wood by hand, sand it by hand, etc. That shut him up.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:06 PM

Talking Don't stir....

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I find your argument silly. Even when the poor were making quilts there were many who made magnificent quilts in those days, using the latest fabrics. Quiltmaking is very individual. So what if someone only likes 100% cotton? Not one of your criteria matter to me in the least. People have their preferences and choices and it's all good! The only thing that matters to me is if the quilters are enjoying what they're doing.
You miss the point....I am glad the rich keep the shops open, and I am very happy tor them if they can afford the best money can buy....

The point is: There are people who put on airs of "I and mine are better than yours" --- these people should not look down on those who use men's shirts or any other kind of fabric.
The end-product is just as good and lovely and usable as the expensive one.

I am sure this thread was not started to create a squabble, but to let every one air their own pet peeve.
We don't have to be keyboard warriors...let us agree to disagree. Play nice, as my mom used to say.😊

Old 06-27-2022, 08:07 PM

Default Those too!!

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
- - - and thread and tool snobs - - -

and those that throw away large scraps (rather than give them away) because "they can't be bothered with that clutter"

Exactly! You get my point!!😊👍
Old 06-27-2022, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
I think your ire over poor customer service deserved its own Thread, so I’ll start a new one.

One of my PP’s is Quilt Police, and specifically Quilt Label Police. It’s my quilt and I’ll choose to or to not label it. And I refuse to be guilted into it.
If you want your quilt to have been made by the ubiquitous A Nony Mous and thus leave those who own it a hundred years from now to wonder to whom it originally belonged, by all means do not put a label on it. As you say, it is your quilt and whatever you want to do with it is strictly up to you. Peace and grace....
Old 06-27-2022, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

I rarely put labels on my quilts. I will write the date and made by with a permanent pen somewhere on the back of the quilt. I have friends who write a book page for their labels.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:25 PM

​​​​​​Originally Posted by RN-Quilter
My pet peeve is fabric snobs....those who use ONLY, DEFINITELY and ABSOLUTELY 100% quilting cotton.
"Oh...you spend so much time on it...use only the best of everything to make it worth your time.."
They forget where and how and why quilts were made.
It seems people have taken the poor man's blanket and is now trying to make it into a rich man's prerogative.
The rich have always been able to afford the best....it is the poor who had to make do with bits and pieces to make something out of nothing.
And on the same note are those pin (only glass-head pins, you know)and machine snobs....
One of my pet peeves is Other People judging me.

I am paying for my fabric NoT U. So do not even try to tell me what fabeic I can use. I give All of my items away Free. Not one person pays for anything from my stashed gifts. 99 percent of my fabric is Free to me as I glean from others that have grown tired of fabric in their stash and bring it to the Senior enter and then we go thru it and take what we can use so everything is gone by Friday or it gets put in the trash as it builds up quickly due to having around 50 people working quilts. I went to a yard sale and came away with 5 walmart tubs (mid size) Free. Since I paid nothing for the supplies I do not charge anything saying "Free to me Free to you". and everyone is happy. I'm not going to buy the cheap stuff whether you like it or not. It's NoT your decision how I make my quilts or doll clothes or clothing for thhe children's wardrobe.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This reminded me of all the arguments that arose when longarms started gaining in popularity, and people refused to call quilts that had been longarmed "quilts". I have a male family member who likes working with wood. He made a small table that sits in my mom's entryway. I made my mom a quilt (she loved) that had been quilted on my longarm. When she showed it off to him, he said that it wasn't a quilt because it had been done by machine. Only quilts that had been quilted by hand were *real* quilts, like his mama used to make. I'm sure you all can see where this is going. I told him his table wasn't a table because he'd used a table saw, a router, and a sander to make it. Why didn't he cut the wood by hand, sand it by hand, etc. That shut him up.
I love this! Is there a chance we are related?
Old 06-28-2022, 03:39 AM

My pet peeve from the perspective of working in a quilt shop: people coming into the shop for backing who do not know the measurements of their quilt or how to determine how much backing fabric to purchase. Or those who come for backing and do NOT bring their top or know the measurements expecting you to determine how much backing fabric they need and expect you to figure it out for them. If you have quilted for some time you should be able to determine how much backing/binding fabric to purchase. Thank you for letting me get "that" of my chest:-)
Old 06-28-2022, 03:41 AM

As for the Quilt Police: I don't listen to them.