Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 06-17-2022, 05:11 PM

Decided to not make any more batik blocks and did a 10 X 12 lay out. Top done and will sandwich when my guild has a work day the end of the month. So, it looks like this moratorium quilt will have to sit and wait while I piece batting and perhaps purchase a backing. Going to Shippshawana, Indiana on Monday and may look at Yoder's for an appropriate back in the sale section. Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 06-17-2022, 10:13 PM

I went to the fabric store today and only bought the piece I went in for. Well, a little more - I told her 1 1/4 yards and she cut 1 1/2. I have a soft voice so it's reasonable. It was Northcutt blackest black solid, so an extra 1/4 yard is good. I did not come home with a black floral to make my son and DIL a table runner!!!!!
Old 06-25-2022, 10:12 AM

Weeeeellllllll; this is my first post and I will absolutely need to consider this. You see, I have Not purchased any fabric for 3 years But my stash is growing. As I said I have Not purchased any fabric -----Ok I have brought "new to me" fabric home. I went to the Senior Center last Wednesday to talk with my quilting friends that meet once a week to quilt--by hand--and I Saw It. 2 boxes and 1 black trash bag of fabric. I was a very good lady and did not touch it while there. I went back Thursday and scarffed it. Almost all of it went into my travel bags and hooked on the back of my power chair then one sat on my foot rest and we traveled home. What fun I had going thhru my new found treasure. I got Lots of quilts stuff (mostly already cut), LoTs of ready to cut fabric and 2 quanities of fabric over 5 yards each. This has now becom added to my 21 boxes of already stashed fabric. Yes, I am working on reducing my stash but one time I went to a yard sale and the lady decided she Hated sewing and quilting was even worse. I bought a few items and of course we talked about what I was planning to do with the fabric. She had her husband deliver 5 more tubs full of fabric--I received the tubs and all that was in each tub. That day I received about 200 yards of fabric with patterns for children's clothing and Lots of thread in multiple colors. So like I said it just keeps growing without spending a penny.

Beginning July 1, 2022 I will be shopping for patterns for little girls in the sizes of 5, 6, 6x, 7 & 8 so I can give the clothing to Salvation Army along with 18-inch doll clothes packed in plastic bags to be given with every 18-inch doll they give away for Christmas. I am also doing quilts (tied off or machine quilted) for children. This is also what I will be doing for my church's Christmas give away this year. I will also be making some Raggedy Andy/Ann dolls. I found a 26-inch doll pattern -- wihout clothes so I will become a fashoin designer for this doll.

Hope you all have a blessed day. MaryK
Old 06-25-2022, 02:40 PM

I have been sitting on myself for the past few months - going to Maine and Mardens next week (insert "Randolph Scott" music - if you know, you know). It's not like I have a fabric shortage or lack of PIGs, but ....Mardens....!
Old 06-25-2022, 06:37 PM

Gave myself an excuse to buy fabric. The charity sew group needed flannel for backs. Done. 24 yds at $3.19/yd. Felt good and won’t add to my stash.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:06 AM

Hi, MaryKa, welcome to the board and the moratorium thread!

I woke up the other morning and realized (in a new, concrete way) how insane it would be for me to buy more fabric, considering my age, what I have on hand, and how slowly I progress on a project.

I've switched out my Harriet sampler to be my leader/ender project while I work on prepping the projects I cut while my machine was in for servicing.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:53 PM

Sounds like you all are doing pretty good on moratorium.
Welcome Mary!
I've done so/so. Made a purchase with 40% off and a bit of a pity party for myself. I think the "woe is me" syndrome has passed thankfully.
I have finally completed two tops from stash and found backing from stash as well so that's a win. Just need ironed and on the quilt frame. Hope to get it ready this week.
Been putting together fabric for 2 new projects and had to search high and low for a light blue. I did finally find one so the one project will be from stash as well. A lone star in browns and blues.
Have a good week eveyone!
Old 07-02-2022, 07:54 PM

Did go shopping to finish two quilts, backing only. Four yards of 45" and two yards of wide back. Both have just enough left over to make binding. Yeah!! Calculations of fabric in and out this month is very muddled. Some for a commissioned quilt and then some for UFO's quilt tops that have been rediscovered in June but made since...... lets say January. Making progress though using stash. Will post successes when they quilts are finished and ready for Project Linus. Oh, and I have been using only stash for my quilting groups mystery quilt for the year. Will have plenty left over for another couple of quilts. The depth of stash can be amazing.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:43 AM

I’m trying to justify a small purchase. It sat less than a week until being used. Sometimes I need something new to get started. The win was the lining. Didn’t realize it would require lining. The fabric is teal rayon. Surprise! The perfect fabric in stash and it’s been waiting years to be used.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:20 PM

My purchases this month was 5 end of bolt pieces. 2-3 yards of backing and blue fabric. I bought 2 rolls of batting. Goal to quilt my numerous tops in 2 tubs. But in the next few weeks I will start having more fabric leave in finished ufo quilts. I have 5 ready to be quilted and machine bind. I keep looking for a reasonable price of grunge dark blue star fabric. It’s part of the patriotic line. I’m looking for $8-10 range. I maybe dreaming I know.

congratulations to everyone who stay on the wagon. Keep saving.

Happy safe and fun 4th of July everyone.