Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I spy quilt question >

I spy quilt question

I spy quilt question

Old 06-26-2022, 11:40 AM

Question I spy quilt question

Buying a multitude of different cut fabrics for a I Spy Quilt can be very expensive, and you still end up with a ton of left over fabric to do something with. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes charm squares or maybe jelly rolls specificially for I Spy Quilts? I'm wanting different colors, with animals, cartoon characters, shapes etc. Not asking for handouts, but a manufactures name.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:41 PM

I don't know of any, but it's a good idea! Shabby Frabrics made an I Spy quilt tutorial that showcased a particular line of fabric. As I remember, the fabric is just really busy with a lot of pictures on it. You could probably cut that into pieces without a lot of leftover, since any cut would have likely have something good on it.
There is the possibility of printing your own on Spoonflower or something and get it spaced out the way you want and use the pictures you want.
I wonder if there are some border fabrics or panel quilts that may suit your needs better.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:33 PM

I have never purchased from this company, but after a google search of "Precuts for I Spy quilts". this was one of the many sources that came up: https://www.stitchesquilting.com/sho...ng-charm-pack/ You can request multiple sets of squares that have no repeats, which is nice.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:39 PM

Robert Kaufman has a panel that I used and there is a pattern that is free on Robert Kaufman website. I posted pictures of my quilt back in early 2019 but can't find right now.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:48 AM

https://4my3boyz.com/cotton-fabric-scrap-bags

This site has holiday, children, and food theme scraps, to name a few.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:02 AM

I have made several I-Spy quilts. I have never bought any fabric for the "I spy" part. I do have a lot of scraps and it has been fun sorting through them and pulling out "fun" fabrics. And they also bring back memories as I stitch them into the quilt. In one of them, my friend's gym shorts had worn out so she cut them into pieces in hopes I could use them. So a few years later, I gifted her daughter a I Spy quilt with a block in it featuring colorful frogs on it for the arrival of my friends first grandchild. I use all sorts of fabrics from my scraps, oranges, flowers, deer, barns, horses, dogs, people, tools, cars, sewing machines, ect. I have framed the featured fabric with white and used bright colored sashing strips, again from my stash.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:34 AM

Most of my I Spy fabrics came from swaps. They used to have them occasionally on this forum. I also got involved in a swap group on groups.io. I have more than I can use now, so I quit swapping. Also, the price of priority mail kept going up. They keep a pretty tight rein on the fabric quality, too.

bkay
Old 06-27-2022, 08:46 AM
bj

I bought a couple from Amazon that were cute. One had mostly animals and the other one had space and pirates and sports. And the fabric was nice.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Try ebay they have tons of different size bundles.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:18 PM

Etsy has a bunch of I Spy fabric bundles. https://www.etsy.com/search?q=I%20spy%20fabric%20