Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine >

A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine

A scraps and no longer loving fabric whine

Old 06-29-2022, 04:01 PM

Check your county humane society, there should be pet stores that accept fabrics and batting. I got rid of 3 grocery bags of fabric 2 shopping bags of cuttings and 2 bags of scrap batting.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:32 AM

Is there a local paper in your community that you could advertise in? Free scraps would be a blessing to some people. Of course they would need to pick them up, no shipping.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:28 AM

I'm not a scrappy quilter by any means. I also only buy for projects as I just don't have room to store anything. Beyond that I know if I bought a piece of fabric just because I liked it, I'd never figure out what to do with it.

Fortunately for me, there is another member here on QB that I have become friends with and she is a very creative quilter and sewist. She does lots of charity quilting as well as other types of sewing. When I finish up with a project (or 2 or 3), I'll gather up all my leftovers and give them to her - including batting scraps.

I would not feel guilty in the least tossing this but I am happy someone else is able to use these things and get enjoyment from them.

Win-win for both of us.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

My guild has a free table and there are always bags of scraps on it every meeting. Very few are taken.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:02 AM

I used to take my embroidery trial runs stitched out designs as well as fabrics I no longer needed to the Senior Centers as they made quilts. They're no longer around so luckily I take my discarded fabrics to our local thrift store as they also make quilts to put up at auction every couple years. I rarely ever see any of my fabrics make it to their shelves for sale. Guess I'm lucky in my area.

A couple years ago I took 8 large brown paper bags full of good fabrics and a couple gallon size bags of good sized scraps. Only saw a couple pieces of my fabric make it to the shelves and those were dress fabrics.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:24 AM

I don't like to waste anything either. I guess it come from parents who grew up in the Depression. I toss mine in a tubbie in the corner and when it is overflowing, I make a scrap quilt. My kids love them because they are the ones to take camping or on a picnic.

You can make sleep mats and use them for stuffing and donate them to an animal shelter. That is the only thing I can think of to add to what has already been suggested.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:59 AM

When I have fabric I don't want anymore, the first place I go is my husband. He uses the 100% cotton for his woodworking projects.

Scraps used to bother me but I finally have come to terms with it. I'll bet if you cut all the scraps into a consistent size, (like 2.5" or 4.5") and posted on FB or craigslist, you would have a lot of takers. Once a consistent size, they could put together a scrappy quilt very quickly.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:30 AM

Quilt guilds! I once listed scraps on a list called 'ReUseIt' (it's been renamed I think), and someone from a guild called, and I've given her several bunches since. If you don't have such a list, you could google the guilds in your area and call them directly.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:07 AM

When I get a large bag stuffed with scraps, I call SOs daughter. She is a art teacher and says the scraps are great for art projects
Win, win for all
Old 07-01-2022, 03:34 AM

Do you have the Neighborhood app? I’ll bet there are plenty of quilters/sewers/crafters who live right around you who would love your scraps and would be glad to pick them up! I’ve used it before for puzzles, and once someone says they want them I just leave them in a bag on my front porch. They drop by and pick them up.