Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Do you need a good steam iron? >

Do you need a good steam iron?

Do you need a good steam iron?

Old 12-03-2020, 11:00 AM

I'm really hard on irons, I drop them a lot... Current one is still holding together but I don't know how long. I go in-between taking the risk on a high quality iron at the thrift store, or the lowest of the low budget iron ($20ish usually) with the extra-long cord. My current iron was a thrift store one, while it steams the button for burst of steam does not work, nor does it mist so I have my mister next to me -- lol even when the hubby has gone to work.

I do iron hot, I do use steam... I will bookmark this on Amazon and maybe even check it out this year!
Old 12-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

You won't believe this. My Shark iron died today!
Good thing I have a little spare but I ordered that one on Amazon. It will get here Saturday. Thank you Amazon
Old 12-04-2020, 06:41 AM

I too have this iron. I also did not know about holding down the button to get to the correct temperature and was frustrated with having to "reset" it each time it cooled down. It is a good iron. My situation is that my outlet just isn't convenient to my ironing station. I'm always fussing with the cord and that kind of makes me crazy. So I just purchased the Panasonic Cordless from Amazon for $86. I instantly knew that me and this iron would get along just fine! Only 3 settings, yay! Gets hot fast, good heat from the steam. I read most of the reviews and went for it. I think I have a winner. I will keep my other iron as back up.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I have heard good things about the Panasonic Cordless. That and the Reliable were my two choices. The price of the Reliable one was too good to turn down so I went for it. Oh the newer of the BEAUTURAL iron you can't hold down the selection, you have to push each time. My friend has the older one and she can hold her button down to change the selection. Oh well, I gave it to my daughter she can push the button for a free iron.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

My new iron will be here tomorrow. It took awhile as I ordered it directly from Reliable and being shipped from Canada. I got free shipping so I won't fret over the delay. I really need a bigger ironing surface so need to figure that out.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

It's better then I expected. LIghtweight and easy to set up, doesn't take up much room at all. I'll post again after I use it for a few months. Reliable MAVEN 120IS HOME IRONING SYSTEM

Old 12-22-2020, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I bought the Beautural and like it. I don't have to keep pressing buttons. It's always on cotton, which is what I set it at when I first used it. Not sure what you mean by that.
That Reliable looks nice!
Old 01-16-2021, 12:17 PM

Default Do you need a good steam iron?

My thrift store buy of Black and Decker iron has died after 3 years. So now I need to replace it. Have looked at those web sites that review these products. Most of the brands I have never heard of, or are available only via the web. Hate to buy on the web a product that I can't hold to see how heavy or if the handle fits my hand. So thank you all if you can point me to iron that's good for quilting.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I love the Reliable MAVEN. I don't know why I waited so long to get the steam generated one. No drips, spurts or yucky water coming out. I haven't refilled it since I got it, the tank holds a lot. I bought extra filters as it is suggested to change them at least once a year.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Spam reported.