Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Blackberry disaster >

Blackberry disaster

Blackberry disaster

Old 07-03-2022, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Glad you did not get hurt.

But - I would have been extremely disheartened by having to clean up all that mess.

Amazing how much territory a small amount of liquid can splatter on to.

Are you going to contact the appliance manufacturer? Or was this an "unapproved" use of it?

Sometimes the "old fashioned" strainers still do the job.

I think my mom used a cloth bag to strain some fruit juices through. Don't remember for sure, though. I do remember some kind of bag that was stained pinkish red.
It was not an off label use. I知 returning it to Amazon.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:18 AM

Sorry for laughing, but that reminds me of the time my sister-in-law was fixing beans and the pressure cooker exploded and what the ceiling looked like.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:31 PM

Well I am it wasn’t a pressure cooker. That could be dangerous. Mine was just a huge, frustrating, messy disaster.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:20 AM

Oh no! What a mess! If I were you, I'd smile sweetly at my DH and THEN look up. I don't do heights.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Raven View Post
I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person. I知 doubting that tonight. This year I decided to learn how to can food. This week I have conquered rose petal jam, two varieties of blueberry jam, and strawberry-honey butter. Then there were the blackberries. I love blackberry jam, but I知 not fond of picking seeds out of my teeth so I had the great idea of using my brand new kitchen aid attachment to remove the seeds. At first it was wonderful it was spitting the seeds out the end and my blackberries were being crushed and going down into my bowl. I was getting confident I could do this. Then it exploded, literally. The plastic piece that holds it all together had snapped. I was wearing blackberries, they were in my hair, my face, on my backsplash, my countertop, stove, white cupboards, dishwasher, floor, wall, and crock pot. A million towels later. I borrowed a food mill had finished the jelly and cleaned up the mess. Then I looked up. Humans should never look up. I have blackberries on my ceiling.

I may need therapy.
I once boiled eggs and forgot about them, they exploded and ended up on my ceiling. Boy what a mess.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Raven View Post
I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person. I知 doubting that tonight. This year I decided to learn how to can food. This week I have conquered rose petal jam, two varieties of blueberry jam, and strawberry-honey butter. Then there were the blackberries. I love blackberry jam, but I知 not fond of picking seeds out of my teeth so I had the great idea of using my brand new kitchen aid attachment to remove the seeds. At first it was wonderful it was spitting the seeds out the end and my blackberries were being crushed and going down into my bowl. I was getting confident I could do this. Then it exploded, literally. The plastic piece that holds it all together had snapped. I was wearing blackberries, they were in my hair, my face, on my backsplash, my countertop, stove, white cupboards, dishwasher, floor, wall, and crock pot. A million towels later. I borrowed a food mill had finished the jelly and cleaned up the mess. Then I looked up. Humans should never look up. I have blackberries on my ceiling.

I may need therapy.
I can truly emphasize with you -- Only mine was a Vitamix Blender. Momma was not able to chew her meat any longer as when she was in the nursing home while I was working nights they decided to get her teeth pulled and the idiot pulled everyone of them. Only 1 was bad.
So I decided it would be easier for her to get her meat chopped so she would not have to chew it as hard. Momma agreed to try it Once and she decided she did like it because she could eat the entire piece of chicken breast so we thought Problem Solved--HA.
Put rhe cut up piece of chicken in the blender and set it to chop. Welllll the clear plastic top blew off the cover so every bit of the meat was doing a dance out the hole in the cover. Momma was laughing at the sight of this "Chopped Chicken Breast doing Reverse Tornado" out the hole in the white rubber top that the plastic piece had blown out of. My apartment kitchen is less than 5' wide and every inch was covered with Momma's chopped chicken.

Momma's worker had taken the plastic piece out and poured in Hot water into the blender. When she put the plastic top back sie did Not twist it into the cover. Sooooooooo I truly do feel bad about your disaster in the kitchen.

Just very glad I don't have to clean the blackberries off the ceiling he he he
Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 PM

When I was young and newly married, my mother went out of state to visit her mother. I tried to make split pea soup in the pressure cooker in her freshly painted kitchen. Green peas didn't look good on the white ceiling or the blue walls.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:16 PM

I was at a friend's new house, she tried to open a bottle of red wine and dropped it. The bottle broke, wine splashed everywhere including the ceiling. We were able to mop most of it up, but it did permanently stain the cabinets and ceiling. The ceiling was bad, because when we tried to clean it, we discovered that the builders had never painted it, so the texture literally melted and crumbled away.

The worst part was we were out of wine! 🤣
Old 07-06-2022, 05:19 AM

Quilting Raven - I can not for the life of me imagine how you managed to clean up that mess!! Your description paints quite a picture!! While I am sure it wasn't funny at the time, hopefully you are laughing about it (sorry .... lol ... I did ). The good news is that it sounds like the only causality was the mixer attachment (which I would ask for a replacement for). So did you finish the jam?? and how was it?

But while I was reading your description , it brought back memories of a neighbor long ago (back when we were newly married). He was a hunter and had a piece of frozen of venison that his wife only wanted a steak from. He convinced her that he could use a new blade which he would wash and his circular saw. He did this of course in the kitchen. Well as you all remember that back in the 70s popcorn ceilings were all the rage and yup the frozen meat particles went everywhere - they were both covered, the kitchen cabinets, floor and yup .... that popcorn ceiling.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:33 AM

Did you get the stain off? When I was a kid, my brother and I were fighting while drinking grape juice. I got pushed, the grape juice hit the ceiling in the living room. We had a purple stain for quite a while until my dad was able to get enough paint on it! Another time, my mom got a "grape juice" recipe from a neighbor. Mom made it and put it in sealed jars down in the basement. A bit later, small explosions were heard coming from the basement. Yep, it had fermented, and wine was being made. Oops!