Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost for custom label >

Cost for custom label

Cost for custom label

Old 07-13-2022, 10:41 AM

Default Cost for custom label

Hi folks,
I'm in the process of working out a custom embroidered quilt label with a local embroiderer. She's been very kind and helpful regarding design. In our initial conversation I asked her what the cost would be for this label. She said 'nothing - I'll just give this to you'!!! I objected, of course, saying she should be paid for her time and materials but she still has not given me a figure!

I expect we'll finalize design in the next day or so and she said she could turn the job around in a day! I don't want to go pick up this label from her and not be prepared to pay her for her work but I have no clue what a going rate would be. The design consists of a purchased (small price) image along with 'made for/made by' and the recipient's name, so other than the purchased image, not overly complex in my mind. But I don't do machine embroidery so really have no clue.

Any hints or clues as to a fair price to give this lady will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:52 AM

I would give her 20.00 tucked into a thank you card with a personal note.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:37 PM

I second Lisa's recommendation. I think $20 seams reasonable for the work she's doing. It's nice of her to say she'd just give it to you, but I'm with you - I'd have to pay her *some*thing.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:41 AM

$20 sounds awfully high to me. I give them away myself, but if I charged, I would ask no more than $5. That would not include postage or fabric of their choice, of course. There was a time when the suggested cost was to charge $1 for every 1000 stitches, but I’ve seen designs that have double digit thousands stitches, and then that formula becomes outrageous.
just my feeling on the matter.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:48 AM

Thank you for the responses. I have some very cute Thank You notes that a $20 bill would fit into nicely!