Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have no idea how to finish this, any help would be appreciated >

I have no idea how to finish this, any help would be appreciated

I have no idea how to finish this, any help would be appreciated

Old 07-13-2022, 12:11 PM

Default I have no idea how to finish this, any help would be appreciated

Hi. A lady I know sent me this and asked if I could finish it in some fashion. She doesn't know anything about quilting. and wasn't sure if it was a wall hanging or pillow and I am not that sure either. It was her grandma's, and the lady cherishes it of course but I am a little stumped because both sides are not even and while I know there are prairie points, I am not sure how to finish it without cutting into the border and of course I would never find that yellow. It was hand quilted. I said I would try. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think I could make a strip of maybe three inches of some yellow fabric and sandwich in a row of prairie points and then somehow attach it? I am afraid of messing it up.

Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sunbonnetsueyellow.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	639918  
Old 07-13-2022, 12:39 PM

I would take it to a fabric store and try to find something that would look good with the center and use that to remake the Prairie points and then turn it into a pillow if its big enough. I see ties, perhaps it was meant as a small wall hanging that was hung by ties vs a rod pocket? You’re very kind to help her.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:17 PM

It looks like it was cut from a longer piece. With the ties I would guess it was a seat or bench cover. Hope you can find a yellow that would work well with it. If not, would it be too hard to remove the points on the left and make new ones for left and right to coordinate?
Old 07-13-2022, 01:38 PM

i can't tell what the quilting looks like on the right. the three finished sides looks to have small hearts, but the unfinished side looks like incomplete quilting (not as in unfinished, but as in some of it is missing)? could it have originally been only one block, maybe attached to another block that had it's own prairie points that connected in with these? That doesn't help you in the attempt to get ideas to finish it, but it is puzzling to me
Old 07-13-2022, 01:56 PM

Whatever you do, you are going to change what it currently looks like. I agree with cjsews that it looks like it is cut from a longer piece and because of the ties probably a seat cover. It looks quite warped. You could make it into a wall hanging by adding a whole new border and binding. I'd be tempted to use a rotary cutter and slice off the prairie points using the quilt edge to work from. But only after I had a solid plan of what to do next. I would be afraid that picking them out could harm the lovely hand-quilted hearts. Alternately, you could make it look like a "book" by finishing the cut edge to look like a book binding rather than trying to match. You could square it up with a border sewn under the prairie points - you'd have to top-stitch it in the ditch around the three edges.
Does your friend have some idea of what they would like it to be or look like?
Old 07-13-2022, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

It seems like three sides more or less match - and then the fourth side looks like it was just cut off something.

From a distance, I did not notice the heart quilting in the borders. My first thought was to square up the block as well as one could - cut off the prairie points - maybe find a pillow insert that would fit - and use a solid color from Sue to bind it with - that would require making a back for the pillow insert - but I think any compatible color would work for that.

Whatever you choose to do, run your idea(s) by your friend/acquaintance before doing anything. You might also mention the "challenges" that you see and ask her what she thinks you should/might do with them.

In my opinion, after looking it over, you may decide to pass on the project and perhaps give her the name of someone else that might be interested in working on it.

Are you doing this as "a favor" or was your acquaintance planning to pay for your efforts?

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-13-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:10 PM

Hi...thanks to everyone for your thoughts. It is true that the points are what is challenging because of the right side being shorter and to find that yellow would be kind of impossible. Even putting points on the other side.... which I am not an expert on fitting things in like that....would make it uneven. And yes, the quilting on the left side is different and it looks like the piece was cut from something longer.

I am doing it as a favor not getting paid which is fine as I would like to help her. I will email her and ask for her thoughts as some of you had mentioned.

Again, thanks, you have given me some clearer ideas. I like the pillow idea.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:10 PM

I wouldn't touch anything that is there. I would go to the quilt store and find a similar yellow. Make prairie points to complete the torn side and give it back. Simple and complete.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:20 PM

Can you use the fabric from the ties to make more prairie points? You might even be able to face them with a muslin to so that that you can make more points with the limited fabric. It has been years since I made prairie points, but I recall they are folded a number of times, so a lot of the pretty fabric is wasted on the inside.

Another option already suggested might be to remove the prairie points from the left side and then match the points on the left with new ones on the right (or alternate the yellow ones you have with white on both left and right). If you do this, you may be able to trim the left border so that it is the same size as the right border without disturbing the quilting on the left.

I agree that the right side appears to have been cut off. You will probably need to remove the quilting in that border in order to add the points. After adding the points, you could hand quilt hearts to match the other borders.

Lots of hand work will be needed. You are a good friend.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:25 PM

You could carefully remove the prairie points and spread them evenly around the whole top, then if there is no backing, you could face it to finish the edges. It could be a poly cotton, might make it easier to match colours.