Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother CS5055 >

Brother CS5055

Brother CS5055

Old 07-13-2022, 12:59 PM

Default Brother CS5055

Today while out shopping I found a new Brother CS5055 sewing machine at what I thought was a good price. I looked over the machine briefly and ended up bringing it home with me. I have an older Elna that I have had for years and felt the new machine might be a nice addition to my quilting room. Does anyone have this model and have you been happy with the work it does for you? Sort of purchased it spur of the moment and hope I made a good decision. Any comments appreciated.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I had one. It was a nice stitch machine for piecing and decorative stitches but not for heavy duty use. I gave it to my niece to take to college some years ago. I didn't have any complaints for such an inexpensive machine. It seemed a little clacky when running but sewed fine.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:06 AM

I got one as a travel/backup machine. Have no complaints.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:06 PM

I have a Brother computerized machine Project Runway with a few more bells and whistles and stitches. It is a light weight machine, which I consider good for travel and light duty sewing. Today's entry level machines are not made like they used to be and longevity is not their strong suit. Like another poster said, it should work well for piecing and light duty sewing, but it will most likely not hold up like your Elna has. It has better than average ratings on Amazon. It makes for a good backup machine as well.

Brother offers the most in the bells and whistle department in inexpensive machines. They can also make a very decent mid level as well as expensive machine.

In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, in order to get a machine that holds up to constant daily use, you need to spend upwards or $800. That wasn't always the case years ago. So, unless you got a lemon, as in any machine, you will most likely be happy with it.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:20 PM

So far I am very happy with the machine. I am learning new things about it every time I work with it. I was able to purchase it for a little less than half of the special price that Walmart was showing. I paid that much to have my Elna serviced. I will continue to use both machines. I make a lot of quilt tops for our mission work at church so it should prove handy for that. My Elna has been a workhorse and still is but figured a backup might be a good idea with service techs being so scarce for sewing machines. I am no spring chicken so this will very likely be the last machine that I will buy. I don't generally buy a lot of things for myself so figured I was due for a little treat. Happy sewing to all!
Old 07-15-2022, 08:10 PM

Well that's a steal. You did good. I am a firm believer in always having a backup. So much so that I think I have about 15 backups now. By the way one of my very best finds was a used Brother machine I got on Goodwill online for I think around $36. It is an older computerized machine that sews like an absolute dream. It is heavy though.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your good buy Brother machine. I hope it is a wonderful asset to you. I always used to hear how good they are.