Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Artista 180 >

Bernina Artista 180

Bernina Artista 180

Old 07-16-2022, 07:21 AM

Default Bernina Artista 180

I have a 180 that I bought new in 95 or 96. I've always liked that machine. Its my main machine for all my sewing except piecing and FMQ on larger quilts. I live in fear it will die on me so I've been looking for another one as a back up for a year or so now. Yesterday I went to an estate sale and they had 2! I tried them both out and this one was the older one, but it seemed to work perfectly. The other one was from 2000 but when I tried to use it the feed dogs were dropped and seemed to be stuck there. I've never dealt with that and couldn't get the throat plate off to see what was going on so I decided to go with the older one. I didn't have a chance to play with it yesterday, but I'm going to test it some more today. I'm really excited about finally finding one and at a very reasonable price.

I was a bit upset with the estate sale people. I told the lady that the other machine didn't actually sew as she was saying it did, but she ignored me and continued to tell people that the machines worked fine. They had tested them. Made me roll my eyes. They probably turned them on and the needle went up and down and they thought "Oh, it works fine". When I was ready to check out, I saw that a guy had bought that machine and was packing it up. I felt bad that he was thinking he bought a machine that worked, except that it didn't.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I was wondering how much you had to lay out for the artista 180? Does it have the embroidery module?
Old 07-16-2022, 12:40 PM

Oh Patrice! I so get it! I use a Bernina Virtuosa 160, sister to your Artista 180 that I bought pre owned, nearly 2 decades ago. It has been my go to work horse for almost everything. Every time I think I 'need' a new foot or a new accessory for it - yes, they still sell that stuff- I think to myself... is this thing going to keep chugging long enough to make it worth the enormous price that things have come to?
I do love it tho, and want it to last forever.
I have an Eversewn backup, and lots of vintage machines to play with, but I hate the idea of losing my old maid. I really never considered trying to find another old Bernina.
hmmmmm
I just sold my Featherweight 222, (loved it too!) so maybe I should start looking....
Old 07-16-2022, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I was wondering how much you had to lay out for the artista 180? Does it have the embroidery module?

This one did not have the embroidery module. I already have one that goes with my other Artista. It hasn't been out of the bag for over 10 years now. I just don't use it so no need to have another. I paid $300. which is a bit lower than the comparables I've seen.

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
Oh Patrice! I so get it! I use a Bernina Virtuosa 160, sister to your Artista 180 that I bought pre owned, nearly 2 decades ago. It has been my go to work horse for almost everything. Every time I think I 'need' a new foot or a new accessory for it - yes, they still sell that stuff- I think to myself... is this thing going to keep chugging long enough to make it worth the enormous price that things have come to?
I do love it tho, and want it to last forever.
I have an Eversewn backup, and lots of vintage machines to play with, but I hate the idea of losing my old maid. I really never considered trying to find another old Bernina.
hmmmmm
I just sold my Featherweight 222, (loved it too!) so maybe I should start looking....
I've been looking for over a year to find one. I missed one at an estate sale a couple years ago and decided I really need another. I'm so glad I found this one because when I went to turn my other one on today, it wouldn't boot up! Its done this before and then booted up later so I'm hoping it will again. If not, I guess someone up there was looking out for me.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=cashs_mom;I've been looking for over a year to find one. I missed one at an estate sale a couple years ago and decided I really need another. I'm so glad I found this one because when I went to turn my other one on today, it wouldn't boot up! Its done this before and then booted up later so I'm hoping it will again. If not, I guess someone up there was looking out for me.[/QUOTE]
Oh my! Fingers all crossed anyway.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:57 AM

I bought a used Artista 170 years ago off eBay. Love that machine...it is my piecing machine. My one complaint is you can't set it for automatic needle down.

I have a great local machine tech who keeps it running in tip top condition.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
I bought a used Artista 170 years ago off eBay. Love that machine...it is my piecing machine. My one complaint is you can't set it for automatic needle down.

I used to have one of those. But he decided to retire on his 78th birthday. Can't figure out why he had to retire so young...
Old 07-17-2022, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I will begin looking. I am like you, I would sincerely miss not having my 180. I only use it for embroidery, and I have so many program cards it would be a crime not to have a back up machine to replace her.
I have a artista 440 and a 790E. But, that old girl is a wonderful machine.

My first machine in the nineties was a Record 190, which I gave to my younger sister. I found an older bernina at the goodwill one day and gave it to my older sister. I paid twelve dollars and fifty cents for it!!! That machine had everything like new about it. Nothing sews like a bernina.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-17-2022 at 10:48 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-17-2022, 12:28 PM

Default Bernina Artista 180

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post

I have a Bernina 170 and I’m sure it has needle down function.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:44 PM
mkc

Just as a data point, 5 years ago I sold my non-working (needed a $1000+ circuit board) 180 plus embroidery unit and extra feet for $100 on Craigslist. Had a gal drive 2 hours to pick it up (she only cared about the embroidery unit). Glad to be rid of it (it had very low stitch count and peeved me no end about the circuit board). The lack of local serviceability (area Bernina dealer wouldn't touch it) soured me on the brand.