Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some things I have learned from experience (quilting) - >

Some things I have learned from experience (quilting) -

Some things I have learned from experience (quilting) -

Old 07-18-2022, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Default Some things I have learned from experience (quilting) -

The pattern directions sometimes have errors.

If I see a fabric that I "have truly fallen in love with " - buy it - even if it's not on sale, because it may or may not be available - anywhere - again. There is a difference between "kind of liking it" and "dreaming about it at night" liking it.

Available colors seem to change over the years. Whoever thought purple and lime green would also be Halloween colors?

I think it is okay to "be in a rut" - if one is comfortable and happy there.

I will like how some things turn out better than some of my other projects.

It is better (for me) to fix an error than to fret about it. If I notice it - and it is bothering me - and I can fix it - then whether other people notice the error is irrelevant. I consider myself "somebody" and I noticed it. If I notice the error after the item has been quilted and bound - well, then I will just keep my mouth shut about it.

I prefer to not participate in swaps - I like my fabric "pretreated" before I cut it - and I mind if the other participants have not followed the guidelines.

I sometimes do envy those that seem to be able to get whatever they want when they want it. But then I look around and realize that the probability of using up all the materials I have accumulated over the years is small to none.

I probably do not need as many sewing machines as I have - but I kind of sort of justify them by saying that the whole herd probably costs less than a mid-fancy new one would cost now.

It may have cost less - in the long run - to buy kits or "exactly" what the pattern called for. But what fun would that have been?

This one is tough to admit to - but my stash has almost moved from the "blessing" to "burden" category.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I can relate to your last statement... blessing to burden! I'm about ready to just give a bunch of it away, to lighten the burden of guilt.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:31 AM

Great topic, bearisgray! One thing I've learned is that sewing makes my day better. Another is that it's best to do what I like rather than what's in style. A third is that sewing is supposed to make me happy and to toss what doesn't. A fourth: try to recognize that a stash can degenerate into a burden, so recognize when to stop.

You come up with the best topics!
Old 07-18-2022, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the 'blessing to burden' category. I want new fabric but feel guilty because I have so much stash and I love my stash. Life is short, to short to make all the quilts I think I can, so it's much better to be in our happy place surrounded by what we love doing what we want and love.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I have learned to work on the patterns I like the best. You never know.
I also learned to buy what I only need and stop having to store leftovers that are a bother. I make a list of things I need and try to stick to them while in a quilt store.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:23 PM

Color choices can make a huge difference in the outcome of a quilt. My mind’s eye is not always working in the right direction
Old 07-20-2022, 03:42 AM

I have learned life is too short to waste my time on quilts I don't like. That's why I never do mystery quilts. If I don't know what the end result will look like and whether my fabric choices will work, I don't want to invest my time in it. I have also learned to let go of something that isn't pleasing me. If I take a class and decide I really don't care for the technique or the finished product, I have learned to let it go. That doesn't always mean pitching it out. A lot of unworthy projects turn into cute little doll quilts for donating to the Salvation Army doll drive.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:14 AM

I learned that I despise sewing and making garments, but I totally love quilting!
Old 07-20-2022, 04:21 AM

Very wise, Bearisgray. I can agree to all of it. I am working on my stash instead of buying and I must say, it takes a concentrated effort. Finishing UFQ's also.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:40 AM

I am working on getting my stash to fit into one closet. Just when I am nearly there, someone donates fabric or UFOs to me. I count those as blessings A few years back I had WAY to much stash that I did not like and just kept moving from place to place. I gave it away. AHHHH the feeling of relief. As a matter of practice now, I give away any fabric that is donated to me that does not make me yearn to create. I also abide by the "if you see it and LOVE it, I buy some of it." I know I will use it. Good post!!!.