Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping Track of Machine Needle Type >

Keeping Track of Machine Needle Type

Keeping Track of Machine Needle Type

Old 07-24-2022, 11:38 AM

Default Keeping Track of Machine Needle Type

How do y'all keep track of what kind/size needle is in your sewing machine?
I always seem to forget what kind of needle I put into the machine - especially between projects.
And reading the type/# is just about impossible for my eyes. Is there a logical way or a handy dandy trick to keep track of this?
Enquiring minds and dim eyes want to know. =)

Thanks
Donna Mc
Old 07-24-2022, 11:49 AM

These days I like to put a piece of masking tape (think painting a house) on the front of the machine with the info for the needle written on it. It comes off easily and is typically safe for paint or baked on finishes.

Edited to add: If I am sewing and have specific changes to sew my current project, like where to move the needle to and which stitch length I am using, I use another piece to tape so I don't have to invent the wheel every time I sit down to sew.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:08 PM

I have the same problem, except for me I cannot remember which type of needle is in which machine. So, I created two ways to keep track. First, from an empty spool, I wrote in different sections the type of needle and then made a cover that spins out of plastic that has a clear window. I select the type of needle for that machine and keep it on the extra spool pin. The second idea uses a wheel, like we used to have in elementary school to learn addition or times tables. It has the bottom circle sectioned to show the different type of needles. The top section has a pie shape cut out to show the needle type (like PacMan). I can then write the name of the machine on the top circle. I put them together with a grommet, so I can turn the top circle to show the needle type. I am going to try to attach pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SpoolCombined.png
Views:	150
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	640006   Click image for larger version

Name:	CircleCombined.png
Views:	119
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	640007  
Old 07-24-2022, 02:41 PM

I put the opened pack of needles in the top grove of the machine. There is a perfect indentation spot for the needle pack and an extra bobbin. Typically, the needle is a micro-tex 80/12 in the machine. They are my favorites. I also change needles after 8 hours of sewing or embroidery. Seldom have any issues with thread breakage.

I store packs of needles in one of the plastic bin containers. Serger needles are labeled with green labels. Green=serger item in my sewing room.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:23 PM

there is a pattern somewhere on the net to make a needle wallet - you can store your needles in it by type and then you put a pin marker in the section of the type you currently have in your machine. something like this:

Machine Needle Case Sewing Pattern PDF and Machine Needle Size - Etsy Canada
Old 07-24-2022, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I have a simple little needle case with a page of white felt in it. I used a sharpie to mark a grid in it and sharpie to number the squares with needle size. When I remove a needle, I stick it in the correct square. I rarely use it though as I just get out a new needle when a needle breaks or one gets dull, those I throw away. When in doubt, change it out.
Old 07-24-2022, 05:15 PM

Another way of keeping track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31OkhBrDRg

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-24-2022, 06:03 PM

I just leave the little packet next to the machine.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:41 AM

I just use a small piece of paper, jot down the needle size and date changed. Tape it to the far right bottom section of the machine, or somewhere on the machine out of the way from fabric movement. When I change again or use a different size needle for whatever purpose, I add to that note or get a new scrap of paper. Can tell at a glance when I last changed needle whenever anything out of the normal occurs......breakage, jams, etc. I do use a piece of painters tape or washi tape to attach the note. Regular scotch tape is sometimes difficult to remove.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:17 AM

I use blue painters tape, I write the needle size, date inserted and the needle position of the project I'm working on.