Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please be brutal :) >

Please be brutal :)

Please be brutal :)

Old 07-25-2022, 12:50 AM

Yes, I can see the difference in the yellows, but otherwise it looks perfect and I think you did great!
Old 07-25-2022, 03:20 AM

It's beautiful, the lady will love it! The lady will cherish it, you gave her exactly what she asked for.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:28 AM

To be honest I would have made myself do a little more work on it by taking off all the prairie points. and then adding them back on again by using one light yellow, one darker yellow. In other words alternating the yellows. Yes, I'm a gluten for punishment.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:09 AM

Yes, what you did looks great, but I agree with you that taking out the quilting to replace the other points would diminish the piece. I have restored pieces and try to keep as much of the original that can be kept. I also try to get as close to original colors but I want them to know what isn't original for the next generation.

It's safer to go with your gut feelings on this.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:19 AM

You did great. You not only kept most of the original (girl) but then enhanced it beautifully. My honest thoughts!!
Old 07-25-2022, 06:19 AM

You did an excellent job - she will love it I am sure. When you are dealing with older fabric items there is no way "to match" identically to the original fabric. I too would be hesitant to remove those hearts - that is part of the charm of this piece (imho).
Old 07-25-2022, 06:20 AM

You did a very good job. Personally, I think I would have put the darker yellow into a mild bleach solution, to see if it would lighten up a bit. If you decide to replace all the prairie points, I think you could very carefully unpick the seams holding them, without disturbing the hand quilting. It would be a finicky job but I think it is doable.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:39 AM

I would not be able to remove the original points and quilting.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:53 AM

Grandma made a grandmother’s flower garden without a ufo lag time. The paths are yellow. A small section of the yellows was a different shade. “Was” because after 50 years I can no longer find them. Don’t sweat it.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
You did a very good job. Personally, I think I would have put the darker yellow into a mild bleach solution, to see if it would lighten up a bit. If you decide to replace all the prairie points, I think you could very carefully unpick the seams holding them, without disturbing the hand quilting. It would be a finicky job but I think it is doable.
I would never do the above(quote)!!! The darker yellow goes better than the original yellow. Your yellow has the warmer under tones that are on Sue and an improvement over the first. You kept the Sue and her borders that are the gist of the block.