Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please - buy floor model VS wait on new model >

Advice please - buy floor model VS wait on new model

Advice please - buy floor model VS wait on new model

Old 07-26-2022, 06:11 AM

Default Advice please - buy floor model VS wait on new model

Wanting a new machine (screen out on mine). Seems all the brands have floor models on sale since new models are coming out. ......But the Sewing Expo will be here the end of September so they will discount the new ones.

Should I buy a floor model or wait for the new ones?

Old 07-26-2022, 06:20 AM

I think that you wanted to post this in the "Main" section. With having VS in the title of your post and having it in the Vintage sesction, I thought you were asking about a Vibrating Shuttle or new machine. I don't think they are making any vibrating shuttle machines, now.

Maybe you could PM a moderator and have them move it.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-26-2022, 06:53 AM

I have boughten floor models with good results. As they are using them to demo the type of machine, usually they have been checked out and any bugs found have been fixed. They also come with some kind of a discount, and I have asked sometimes if they would throw an extra foot or something in. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
Oh, and I would ask about the warranty. Usually, it stays the same as new.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:09 AM

Default Floor model machine

Originally Posted by christinak View Post
Wanting a new machine (screen out on mine). Seems all the brands have floor models on sale since new models are coming out. ......But the Sewing Expo will be here the end of September so they will discount the new ones.

Should I buy a floor model or wait for the new ones?
I bought a Janome 9400 demo model and really came to appreciate the fact that it had been used. All the quirks that several individuals indicated occurred on the brand new machines had already been worked out on my machine. I did get a discount but the warranty remained the same as a new model. I would strongly recommend you consider purchasing a demo model.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:47 AM

Demo's are a great way to get a good discount on a machine. In some cases, you can get a top of the line machine for what it would cost for a machine with fewer features, etc. In my experience, they have always had the full warranty. I highly suggest looking at a demo model.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I think that you wanted to post this in the "Main" section. With having VS in the title of your post and having it in the Vintage sesction, I thought you were asking about a Vibrating Shuttle or new machine. I don't think they are making any vibrating shuttle machines, now.

Maybe you could PM a moderator and have them move it.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Has this been moved? Because it’s in the main section. I’m really confused by what’s being said.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:37 PM

Maria - the moderator moved it to the Main forum.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Has this been moved? Because it’s in the main section. I’m really confused by what’s being said.
Yes, it has been moved. I've also seen it go the other way and I have to think about it for a second, before I realize that it has been done.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:59 AM

Not exactly the same but worthwhile point for those who are also considering a new machine -
WHen I decided to upgrade, I careful considered what was important to me and I decided that harp size was a mission critical item if I wanted to do more FMQ. Then I made the financial decision that I would rather get a better used machine than make sacrifices to get something new. I was able to get my Janome MC6600 for $800 from the local repair/sales place because it had been traded in. Came 6 month warranty and a service call after 6 months. I've been really happy. No regrets.
Summary - decide what's important and what is sacrificial. The instant you walk out the door, it becomes used. A good shop will stand by it's products regardless of whether it's New In Box or Floor Model.

It's not a car. While it's had plenty of test drives - nobody really beats on a sewing machine the way they do a car. I would feel fine with the floor model, but that's me.