Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone else relate to this? >

Can anyone else relate to this?

Can anyone else relate to this?

Old 07-26-2022, 06:16 AM

So you have already gotten lots of great tips so far so I will not duplicate what others have said BUT remember this is a hobby and is supposed to be fun so try not to stress.

That being said I am a bit ocd when quilting and piecing. If I were to do a Bear Claw that small, I would paper piece it. If you are interested in trying that, I would happily do a foundation in EQ for you.

edit - by the way - your block is cute and has all it's points - which is what people will be looking at.

Last edited by eparys; 07-26-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:27 AM

Thank you for your comments and encouragement!!

I am already doing many of the things suggested - overcutting, starching, pressing (not ironing), though I do admit to using steam.

There are two problems I notice I have - 1) my machine does not pull the fabric evenly. If I seam two pieces of fabric the exact same size, they often end up being off by a few threads. The top fabric is pushed "downwards further" than the bottom. I don't know if this is a quirk that is particular to my personal machine or all machines in general or somewhere in the middle. and 2) I use a quarter inch foot but because it is metal and not clear I can't see the last 3/8" as it is being sewn so often this part of my seam will be off, either too wide or too narrow by a couple threads. (And there was a third thing I thought of while writing this but it's gone from my brain, can't remember what it was.)

I know when I'm finished with a quilt I look at it and say that those little "offs" really aren't noticeable at all. It's just that when I'm trying so hard to have everything match up it's discouraging when I'm off by so much on every square.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:08 AM

I thank the dear Lord every time a make a quilt that fabric is just so forgiving!
Old 07-26-2022, 11:40 AM

As long as you have enough in the seam allowance, don't fret the small stuff. Just make adjustments when you sew the blocks together, remembering when you need to fudge on not completely matching edge to edge on the seams.

PS. Really like your fabric!
Old 07-26-2022, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
my machine does not pull the fabric evenly. If I seam two pieces of fabric the exact same size, they often end up being off by a few threads. The top fabric is pushed "downwards further" than the bottom. I don't know if this is a quirk that is particular to my personal machine or all machines in general or somewhere in the middle.
Sounds like maybe your presser foot pressure is too high. Adjust it to less pressure and see if it sews any better.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM

1. have you tried changing to a fresh needle that will pierce the fabric cleaner all the way through?
2. Using a stiletto (or similar object) may help guide your fabric all the way through to the end.
3. You could try changing feet and remeasuring your 1/4 inch from a target point that is more visual for you. I prefer to use an open toe foot and move my needle to a position that gives me my 1/4 inch measured from the inside edge of the right toe. I find it difficult to see and control fabric when my needle placement and foot use requires the fabric to flow completely under the surface of the foot. ...hope that makes sense!