Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To superior monopoly or not?? What’s your go-to thread? >

To superior monopoly or not?? What’s your go-to thread?

To superior monopoly or not?? What’s your go-to thread?

Old 07-29-2022, 11:35 AM

Default To superior monopoly or not?? What’s your go-to thread?

Hi guys. I’m having an inner discussion with me, myself and I and we’re trying to love on Superior monopoly thread bc obviously it blends with everything. But the sheen factor is ruining it for me. I’m using it on my current quilt and I feel that it almost looks cheap 😩 on the top. I’m all about inexpensive but somehow the sheen factor of the thread is really ruining it for me. I’m using it on the back too and it truly just looks like plastic sewed into my quilt. It’s possible I’m overanalyzing but the more I use it, the less I like it. I used it on another quilt too and it seemed to work better but I’m wondering if I should just stick with a neutral invisafil and come what may. I know to each his own, but I’d like to know your thoughts.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I have only used monopoly in the past to stitch in the ditch, where it doesn't show anyway. Actually back then I used a different brand of monopoly, and I used a different thread in the bobbin. For ditch stitching I've switched to Superior's 100 wt thread, MicroQuilter.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:24 PM

I really don't like any "invisible" thread because of the sheen. I like to a fine thread in a color that blends well like MicroQuilter or even 50 weight Aurfil. Bottom line is pretty fine too. I tend to use a cream color on warm colors and a grey on cool colors.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:44 PM

Are you using the clear or smoke color?

I would find a neutral or blending color thread in another brand or Glide. There are smaller cones available in many of the colors. I use embroidery thread for quilting.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:25 PM

I don't like invisible thread because it seems more like fishing line than thread. I know a lot of quilters use it, but for myself, I like to see the quilting stitches. It makes it seem more, I don't know, old fashioned. But then, I like old stuff, even if it is modern made. Heck, I do all my quilting by machine. I just like the look of the quilting thread stitches being visible.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:31 PM
mkc

I've used monopoly for wool applique where I didn't want an obvious blanket stitch around the applique. I do a tiny, tiny zig-zag over the edges of the applique pieces.

Not a fan using it for quilting.

Be aware it's NOT advised for children's/baby quilts since the little ones' fingers and toes can get caught in the stitching and be injured. I'd worry about it around pets for the same reason.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:52 PM

I like Superior Threads Omni. I'm assuming your talking about quilting, not piecing.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:10 PM

I’m trying to play with it. I turned the tension up a little which I wasn’t sure I could get away with but I think it does look a little better. I guess there’s a time and a place for it. Not giving up 100% yet…
Old 07-30-2022, 02:27 PM

I also use embroidery thread for quilting.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:21 PM

I mostly use Glide for quilting now. My Juki likes it and it's not linty so less cleaning. I tried rayon embroidery thread once. It looked great but didn't hold up to washing. Now I'm deciding If I'm going to re-quilt that quilt.