Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Formal Garden by Jane Sassaman >

Formal Garden by Jane Sassaman

Formal Garden by Jane Sassaman

Old 08-04-2022, 01:29 PM

Default Formal Garden by Jane Sassaman

sigh. why does this designer think this is the whole pattern one would need? Me, maybe when i bought the fabic kit at a quilt show that came with the "free" pattern. Now years later i look at it and think what? my poor brain doesn't do much thinking for itself these days.love the fabric but right now i'm finishing off many, many tops I put aside.
http://www.janesassaman.com/Jane_Sas...l%20garden.pdf
pretty isn't it? Sometimes i love weird prints!
Old 08-04-2022, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I love Jane Sassaman's quilts and fabrics, but I agree with you that this is not a sufficient pattern. It's probably not too hard to fussy cut the fabric in the right size squares to sew them together, but it would have been nice to have it explained and a couple of pictures provided.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:13 PM

It is such pretty fabric, kit, i hate cutting it wrongly and wasting any. Oh well, one day I may get brave!
Old 08-05-2022, 04:10 AM

Pretty fabric, it looks like she did a 4 patch posey for the blocks.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:16 AM

Great quilt. Copy the overall photo and draw in the seam lines on the copy. It will begin to make sense. But you are right, a little more information would be helpful.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:00 AM

There is an old thread about this as well, maybe reading it might give you some help? Formal Garden quilt

interesting youtube interview with Jane discussing one of her other designs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yoeFKIueVY

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 08-05-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:20 AM

I'm not a very experienced quilter, so what I say may make no sense. What I would do is lay the fabric out and stare at it for a while - both pieces. Then I would map the quilt out on graph paper. They says they are 6 1/2 inch squares. So make each 1 inch equal 6 1/2 inches on your graph paper. I think I would get colored pencils and color code the squares as I figure out what goes there (maybe blue, pink and red). (You may have it figured out before you get this far.)

I would take my 6.5 inch ruler and use it to figure out which piece goes where. By placing the 6 1/2 inch ruler on top of the uncut fabric, you can figure out what the pieces are and where they go.

It appears to me that there are 2 pink flowers and 1 blue flower in each square. Then there are 2 blue flowers and one pink in the next block. Then the other fabric goes somewhere in the middle.If you graph it out on paper where each fussy cut square goes and which way it faces, you'll see how to cut the fabric.

At least I would try doing this before putting it back in the drawer.

I did this for a quilt that had more pieces that this but I just couldn't get the diagonal part and how the pieces went together. (The cutting wasn't an issue.) the graph paper worked for me.

bkay
Old 08-05-2022, 10:15 AM

Oh! thank you for finding that. I printed it out just fine. I need visual and all. my brain is old now and hates math! thanks all!!
Old 08-05-2022, 03:34 PM
Gay

Perhaps dividing up the color photo will help you decide how to fussy cut your fabric, into 6 1/2" squares.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	janesassaman.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	640103  
Old 08-05-2022, 05:05 PM

ooh, i like that too. Thanks much. just printed it too. nothing like a good visual!

Last edited by Quiltwoman44; 08-05-2022 at 05:09 PM.